What's new

TSA and DE blades - flying with your razor

So, it looks like disposable razors are OK for carry on, any votes for which disposable sucks the least?

Bic Twin metal for sensitive skin are my favorite in this area of razors.

$bic_twin_select_disposable-400-400.jpg

Last edited:
Also how are the super-basic single blade Bic disposables?

Bic Twin metal for sensitive skin are my favorite in this area of razors.

Bic Twin is pretty good! I use it every once in a while. I've also heard good things about Gillette Good News which I believe has two blades and a super simple design. Both are readily available at most CVS, Walgreens, Target, or Walmart!

Bic Twin is pretty good! I use it every once in a while. I've also heard good things about Gillette Good News which I believe has two blades and a super simple design. Both are readily available at most CVS, Walgreens, Target, or Walmart!

Good advice. The Pronto would be a pain to get on short notice.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks for the information, my information was from another member in a similar thread. And I wasn't suggesting going against it, I even said it wasn't worth it. Heck, who wants to be strip searched. Or worse, have their shaving gear confiscated.

Yep, I don't know which I'd be more upset about - someone taking my favorite gear or me missing my flight! :lol:

as a person who has done frequent flying, I personally prefer checking my bag then carrying on. I rarely have problems with check luggage and being able to walk around the airport without carrying around luggage is so much easier. The only time I got a carry on is when I bring my backpack with my laptop and accessories in it.

Thanks everyone. Like I said, I saw what TSA had posted on their site, but I was curious how it actually played out. FWIW, I had no trouble getting through security with my DE.

I have a friend who lost his carry on DE to customs. International travel. He was asked about it and was talking it up, greatest thing ever etc. He didn't notice it didn't make its way back into the bag. I used to take disposables with for air travel. I just got a Feather MR3 Neo handle to take on planes. Nice cartridge razor. It takes two- or three- blade cartridges (MR3 or Fii). It has some real weight to it and the head can be locked to prevent pivoting if that's the druthers.

Last edited:
For a short weekend, I do only carryon.
And have absolutely no problem carrying or using a cartridge.
Great shave, actually.
And I really don't care about the arrogance of 'anti-cart' dilettantes!

proxy.php

Great shave, actually.
+1 ... I haven't used a multi-blade cartridge since I started wet-shaving about 7 years ago, but I don't begrudge those that do. The couple of times that I used a Bic single-blade disposable weren't bad. I wouldn't throw a hissy fit if I were forced to use a Mach3 or a Fusion for a couple of days.

I think a multi-blade cartridge razor in the hands of an experienced wet-shaver would do a much better job than a cartridge used by someone that doesn't know what good shaving is all about.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Great shave, actually.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do! :lol:

Great shave, actually.

proxy.php

Is that a mini Dyson there between the brush and the EdT? :001_huh:

I kid ... I kid ... I have nothing against carts! :001_smile

After a brief search, I discovered that the various disposable razors that you were kind enough to recommend were not available at my local drugstore, so on the theory that if a product has been in production for three decades with almost no change it can't totally stink, I got a dozen Bic single edge disposables (thoughtfully re-marketed as "Sensitive", since "basic" really doesn't sell razors anymore), my expectations were very low, but they were cheap, available and their simplicity appeals to me...

The reality is that despite many aesthetic faults, these little orange and white plastic abominations actually shave *really* well! I would imagine they are useless for more than two days growth and are certainly not a product that can be used with "zero pressure" since they only weigh about 5 grams. That said, I got a DFS++ shave in two passes plus touch-up, the ATG feel was pretty decent and I was left with no irritation at all. The feel and ergonomics are nothing if not cheap, but if functionality is king, then these razors are a real top-shelf product, especially for forty cents a piece!

I guess my upcoming trip won't be a shaving fiasco after all.

Great shave, actually.

proxy.php

Oh, it all in good fun. Much like the BBC show Top Gear only testing Corvettes on a wet track. You just can't have a $60,000 car beating a $250,000 car. DE and straight shaving is much the same way. Personally I don't like a half deflated orange basketball in the middle of the razor but that's just me.

If you do carry on a razor, as I do, put your razor (no blades) in a ziplock clear bag just as you have to do with creams/lotions.
Take it out of your carry on, so that it is easily seen for a quick inspection. I always take a GEM or Ever-Ready SE in my carry on, and have never had anything other than "what a cool razor" comment from TSA.
SE blades are available at CVS stores, or pack them in checked baggage.

Top Bottom