What's new

What are the Best Representation of Specific Types of Pipe Tobacco?

Sorry for the long thread name, but couldn't figure out an appropriate title.

I am interested in taking up the pipe and have read a lot of threads concerning said subject, including the wiki's and countless YouTube vids. I have also been following this great thread:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/420665-What-are-three-must-try-pipe-tobacco

I am trying to gather an idea of the differences between the various types of pipe tobacco and try and get a good representation of each to help newbies like myself gain understanding of what is being discussed when terms are used such as "Latakia bomb"; "Aeromatics"; "Virginias", "American Blend"; "English Blend"; etc.

What do you consider the epitome / favorite of the various genres of pipe tobacco?
Please list the "Type" and the "Tobacco name". Hopefully there will be enough consensus to sort of establish some good examples of each type as a jumping off point for the uninitiated.

Many thanks for your input.

Oh, and one more thing. If applicable ~ Please state if you prefer a certain pipe for a specific tobacco.

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Quite reading and just go for it. If you're like me you like to research and learn everything about anything to the nth degree. Get a cob, buy 2-3 blends and get busy. Whatever you can't figure out we'll be more than happy to help with.

One point of view is that larger bowls such as pots shaped pipes are better suited for English mixtures. The more complex the blend, the larger the bowl of a pipe is recommended.

But, this is just one school of thought.

Derrick said it best "Get some cobs"

Edit: Tobaccoreviews.com can be a great resource for pipe tobaccos.

Last edited:
He means Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake.
Thank you very much for the interpretation. I could probably have deciphered the codex, but you saved me some internet searching.

I understood at the original post that answers will vary greatly, but anything that is recommended is probably a decent smoke vs shooting from the hip and taking a chance on getting a dud. I have noticed that there are quite a few popular recommendations in the "3 must try" thread linked in the OP. The problem was that I have no idea what they represent, so the idea is to garner a little knowledge on what category popular choices fall into. IE: Many people recommend Frog Morton, but what is Frog Morton? VA, American blend, Aeromatic, Latakia, all of the above?? The best correlation that I can think of is comparing to Spirits. Whats a good bourbon, Whats a good Rye, Whats a good scotch, Whats a good whisky. Whats a good peat bomb whisky. These will all garner responses from all over the place, but will also provide an education in knowing that if I choose to purchase bottle X, then I know that to someone it represents the quintessential Rye, or Bourbon, or Scotch, etc. This is the knowledge I hope to garner from this exercise as it should provide invaluable starting point for someone whom has zero pipe experience.

Thank you @Nortac for the link that you provided. I have read 19 pages thus far today and double checked that the Flake pipe loading section is still active on the Mac-Baren website, as the gifs do help illustrate things a bit better than the still pictures.

@Commander Quan - You are correct about the research part. I don't like to make ill advised purchases. When I get to the end of the "Pipeman's Handbook" I will almost certainly place my first order. I will probably end up with a couple of cobs for sampling blends, and at least a Stanwell or Savinelli as the dedicated smoker. The other option is to make the 1.5hr drive to the only B&M pipe tobacco store on the island. My wife has given the green light to start the pipe journey, but has stated that the drive "up north" can't be specifically to obtain a pipe. The wheels are churning for an excuse to head that way as we speak; as the town up north is a ranch town and not much reason for me to be up that way. I will probably go by the store regardless just so that I can handle some pipes prior to purchase. I also want to check out the lighters to see the craftsmanship myself as I'm not opposed to spending money if I think that it is a good long-term investment.

Enough rambling. Thanks for the support and the responses. Specifically thanks to @Boro62 for the Virginia recommendation.

Thank you @Senshi. I will certainly add tobaccoreviews to my list of resources. Also I am reading your journey from page 1. I find that much can be gained by looking through the eyes of someone whom has been in the place that you are. In addition, some of your pics from the "Picture of you smoking a pipe" thread seemed so sublime and calming, which to me expresses the very nature of a pipe and helped inspire me to start this journey. Well. that and the carve your own pipe thread... Blade Boy, In my head he lives in a pipe shaped house whose walls are lined with pipes that are used to smoke only a single specific tobacco and sits proudly with said tobacco among hundreds of other pipes lining the walls. Although Mejkeli has produced the most eye appealing pipe for me.

Last edited:
Blade Boy, he lives in a pipe shaped house whose walls are lined with pipes that are used to smoke only a single specific tobacco and sits proudly with said tobacco among hundreds of other pipes lining the walls.

I see you've been to Aaron's house. :lol:

This website is pretty much everything you would want to know about pipes.

This specific page will probably help you understand more about tobaccos and their properties.

http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Tobaccos

If you're looking for a quick rundown,

Straight Virginias- Samuel Gawith, Full Virginia Flake and Best Brown Flake (Honorable Mention Dunhill Flake)

Latakia/English Blend- So many to choose from. I love Early Morning Pipe, GL Pease Odyssey and SG Skiff Mixture (Honorable Mention Frog Morton)

Virginia Perique- Escudo, Limerick and Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake

Burley- Carter Hall and Solani Aged Burley Flake

Aromatics- Molto Dolce, Lane 1-Q, Hobbit's weed

Concerning shapes and preferences,

I like my VAs and VaPers in English style pipes. Billiards, Dublins, Bulldogs.

Aromatics go in a cob usually.

English blends are usually in my big freehand pipes or pots.

Very interesting thread! I have always been curious about "American" blends. If an English is a blend with Latakia, are all the blends without Latakia American?

I believe that English blends refers to Traditional English Purity Law stating that no additives could be used in the blends such as flavorings (which was popular for American aromatics at the time). So traditionally English blends used Orientals and Latakia to flavor the smoke naturally.

But nowadays everyone uses the term for mixtures with Virginias and Latakia (also Orientals)

edit: should have posted this instead of my stinky explanation

http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-news/english-blends-and-latakia-blends-one-in-the-same/

Last edited:
FVF isn't what I would consider a beginner friendly tobacco.

Orlik Golden Sliced would probably be the better bet, since it's not soaking wet out of the tin.

Orlik Golden Sliced would probably be the better bet, since it's not soaking wet out of the tin.

lol I didn't even think of that, but its true. I usually let FVF sit under my desk lamp for about 15-20 min before smoking.

lol I didn't even think of that, but its true. I usually let FVF sit under my desk lamp for about 15-20 min before smoking.

It seems like I can leave it out to dry for hours at a time, and yet it somehow gets moist again while in my mason jar. It's magical or something.

It seems like I can leave it out to dry for hours at a time, and yet it somehow gets moist again while in my mason jar. It's magical or something.

magically delicious when you get it smoking right! well at least i think so :lol:

I really need to grab a tin of OGS, something I have yet to try.

Sometimes I'm lucky enough to receive some samples. As I don't know what they are I head to www.tobaccoreviews.com, type in the name, find out what it is (English/Va etc), select pipe to match and slowly sip away in awe of the generosity of the person who sent me the sample. Hope that helps.

At next week's 30th CORPS EXPO we will have another tobacco tasting bar. Sutliff, Mac Baren, Pipes & Cigars, Cornell & Diel, Greg Pease, Lane and McClellend have all donated at LEAST one VA, one English and one Aromatic each (and some have donated 3 in EACH category) for attendees too sample and then vote on. After the pipe show I'll post the three overall winners; one in each category. It will be fun sampling over 30 blends in two and a half days!
IronMike

Agreed. As a burley smoker attempting to expand a bit, I find Orlik to be very nice.

+1 for this. I am not a smoker, but this is like shaving. You can go blind reading all the various favorites of guys here and never get around to actually shaving. Just buy a pipe and tobacco that is decent quality, but not an arm and a leg and jump into the pool.

Quite reading and just go for it. If you're like me you like to research and learn everything about anything to the nth degree. Get a cob, buy 2-3 blends and get busy. Whatever you can't figure out we'll be more than happy to help with.

Top Bottom