What's new

Can somebody tell me something about KIFA straight razors

I found a NOS straight razor that has a KIFA stamp on it.

I found out that the complete name of the manufacuter is Kirurgiska Instrument Fabriks Aktiebolaget and the razor was made for surgical use.

That makes sense, because the seller told me that the razor is from an old and unused swedish army stock and the master package had a date stamp from June 1913 on it.

Here are some pictures from it:

$19571261jb.jpg$19571262tj.jpg$19571263sf.jpg$19571264lc.jpg$19571265ai.jpg

I could find some pictures from other KIFA straight razors but the blade and the scales have a completely different shape when I compare them.

The razor looks like new, I have to say like it left the factory last week, although it is 101 years old according to the seller. No staining, no scratches, no rust. The whole razor seems to be made out of stainless steel, even the scales.

Has anybody the same razor? Does the company still exist and produce straight razors?

I have yet to shave with it.

Thank you for any information.

Interesting looking razor, I hope someone can give you some info on it...

Is it shave ready? Give us a feedback on how it performs :)

The hair test is so so. I think I will have to hone it first and give some feedback then.

Thank you all for your kind help.

I already thought that it could be a Wapi, but that one is slightly different.

Now I've gotten the info from somebody that it looks like a Eskilstuna Heljestrand no. 24.

I did search a littelbit in the internet and my razor looks absolutely like a Heljestrand no. 24 except for the stainless scales. If it is true that the razor is 101 years old then Heljestrand made razors for the KIFA factory for the swedish army back then.

The razor here looks exactly like the KIFA except for the scales:

http://thebladeblog-ulf.blogspot.de/2013/01/c-v-heljestrand-eskilstuna-straight.html

Last edited:
Thank you, that really helps! So one can say KIFA straight razors are rebranded Heljestrand razors, just like Hoffritz slants are rebranded Merkur slants, from what I understand.

I will hone it as soon as I find the time and see how it performs.

The KIFA I remember had the distinctive look of a MK32, so it would look like they did rebrand some Heljestrand.
Now it does not mean that was their only supplier.
For example Hoffritz also rebranded some LeGrelot straights.
RO Delorme was rebranding both Thiers Issard and LeGrelot, plus other minor brands too.

It does looks like my Eskilstuna Heljestrand no. 24...

Here are some picks :)

Attachments

• $Eskilstuna Heljestrand no. 24. (2).jpg
    $Eskilstuna Heljestrand no. 24. (2).jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 86
  • $Eskilstuna Heljestrand no. 24. (3).jpg
    $Eskilstuna Heljestrand no. 24. (3).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 86
  • $Eskilstuna Heljestrand no. 24. (5).jpg
    $Eskilstuna Heljestrand no. 24. (5).jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 85
  • $Eskilstuna Heljestrand no. 24. (6).jpg