What's new

Slants

Can we talk about Slants? Why do you like them? Why do you NOT like them? I want to hear people's opinions of them.

Looking at the Merkur slants and interested what it is about slants that make them attractive/offensive to folks. To me they seem it would be a more efficient way to attack the stubble.

Last edited:
I use the Merkur slant and absolutely love it. It is my go to razor. The slant provides a slicing effect like a guillotine as opposed to a chopping effect of a traditional razor. It doesn't even feel like it's cutting anything, like a hot knife through butter. I use it with a Feather blade. The slant doesn't work for everyone, but it's definitely been a positive experience for me.

I use the Merkur slant and absolutely love it. It is my go to razor. The slant provides a slicing effect like a guillotine as opposed to a chopping effect of a traditional razor. It doesn't even feel like it's cutting anything, like a hot knife through butter. I use it with a Feather blade. The slant doesn't work for everyone, but it's definitely been a positive experience for me.

Pretty much sums it up perfectly.

It does what I can do without it. I don't doubt they're not inefficient, nor that they don't fail to disappoint very few users. Who knows? I may end up trying one some day.

For some reasons, Slant (merkur) is able to clean problem areas easily, with fewer passes, and without irritation.
And surprisingly, I find it as "mild" as the 34C.

Hi,

I prefer the vintage slants where one side is more aggressive than the other. Esp, the Fasan Double Slant. That one gives me a very nice DFS with two passes (WTG ATG). I do not think that any modern slant offers differential aggressiveness, though.

Stan

I love more Merkur 37c more with each shave it seems. It takes a little getting used to since the angle of the blade makes you want to adjust the angle you see in the mirror, but once you get used to shaving on a perceived angle it becomes second nature. My first shave was rather rough but once I learned to control the angle and pressure it became a very mild shave but very efficient and effective. It provides a shave almost as good as my SE razors with little effort.

I would highly recommend a slant.

do you need to change the direction of your stroke for a slant? or still use the same technique….

You keep the same direction of your stroke. Since the blade is "slanted" that is what gives you the slicing effect. You would only adjust the direction if you were trying to square off your side burns to a 90 degree angle.

I do have a great love for slants and like to try new ones. Not all of them are great. I must say that the razors are usually decent but the blades in my opinion get dramatically changed. Those blades found smooth in a mild razor are likely more harsh and razor may be more likely. I prefer more aggressive blades in slants. This is something I have found is very different from standard closed combs.

It does what I can do without it. I don't doubt they're not inefficient, nor that they don't fail to disappoint very few users. Who knows? I may end up trying one some day.

I recently got called out for sticking the landing on a triple negative in a post recently. I do believe you've one-upped me. Is that a triple negative combined with a double negative in the same sentence? Truly impressive. :thumbup1:

For me, I seem to get better results with fewer passes, leading to less irritation overall. I'm currently participating in OCtober, and I've spent the past couple of days trying to figure out how to get the same quality and comfort from my NEW as I do from my 37c.

For some reasons, Slant (merkur) is able to clean problem areas easily, with fewer passes, and without irritation.
And surprisingly, I find it as "mild" as the 34C.

Well designed, well made razor.

Slant head razors are NOT for everyone BUT everyone should try a slant head

It takes a little getting used to since the angle of the blade makes you want to adjust the angle you see in the mirror, but once you get used to shaving on a perceived angle it becomes second nature.

Once you get used to using a slant, it's a nice diversifying razor for rotation. I have the short handle merkur. Worked like a dream today.

I recently got called out for sticking the landing on a triple negative in a post recently. I do believe you've one-upped me. Is that a triple negative combined with a double negative in the same sentence? Truly impressive. :thumbup1:

:001_smile

I think I'm the cause of my own undoing. A linguist might be able to help here, but I was going for the quad-triple combo. I think I confused myself while still saying what I meant to. :bored:

:001_smile

I think I'm the cause of my own undoing. A linguist might be able to help here, but I was going for the quad-triple combo. I think I confused myself while still saying what I meant to. :bored:

We'll have to come up with a cool skateboarding name for that one. The McNegative or something.

Top Bottom