What's new

New DMT Lapping Plate.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
You should check with Stu first, I could have sworn he said that stuff is too fragile to be used for much lapping - as in they will quickly dislodge.
I think he was referring to the 1200. IIRC he said 400 and under was ok for lapping.

David

I've considered buying a whole sheet of 400 or 140 and sticking it to my granite slab.

The Atoma plates are demon cutters - mine show no signs of becoming 'too worn/slow' yet and that's after lapping a ton of hard stone.

Yeah, well in the wild stones can be fracking HARD! I've never seen a stone that is commonly used that's as hard as some of those I tried. In retrospect I should never have touched them to a diamond plate once I realized how hard they were. I will say that my Atoma 400 still out cuts both of my DMT 140's though. And one is quite a bit newer than my Atoma. The Atoma is worn to the point that it takes quite a while (about 5 minutes after a couple razors) to flatten a Shapton 2k that it used to flatten instantly.

I did order a DMT Dia-flat 95 micron/ 160# but I reived a DMT Dia scratch plate.

The sun light makes the dots appear bigger but they are not small compared to the toleranse +-/0.0005".
And there are many dots.

$IMG_2778.jpg$IMG_2801.jpg

David

High spots are normal with any DMT I'd think. Mine took a little breaking in when I first got it.

Atomas too. Run a wide chisel you don't mind if you add some character to down it a few times and it should knock the high spots down. When its just a couple individual ones find them and knock them down with a screwdriver.

I do have:
Dia Sharp Extra Fine 8 ´ Diamantbryne 1200 Mesh
Dia Sharp Coarse 8 ´ Diamantbryne 325 Mesh
Atoma 120#
Atoma 400#
None of them had issue like this.
I am not talking about diamonds being sligtly higher than the general layer of diamonds. This is high spots. I do not think they can be knocked down easily. Hone down yes. But if they contain diamonds I will have to hone, knock diamonds, hone and so on. And with what end result? Why should I even consider that when the item not correspond to promised quality….

I understand you want to help me. But I doubt or hope not this is common.

$Fri May 06 12-35-40.jpg$Fri May 06 13-51-33r.jpg

Yes.
And I have got a new one.

This one works very well for me.:biggrin1:

It did give very small scratch to my 1000# stone but nothing like the first one.
Then I did the screw driver nock and then flattening on a 500#.

Then there were no scratching visible for my eyes on the 1000# stone.
And this DMT stones has no dots that I can see.

Top Bottom