What's new

Price check on vintage coti?

Shocked me too. I can only guess because it's a natural combo vintage with a very thick layer of coti on a long benchstone (extremely thick coti layers aren't as rare on shorter/wider barbers cuts, but they are a bit harder to find on long stones). There's also some white in the bbw, which is one of the indicators of La Veinette layer according to that .pdf about coticules.

And yeah, what Mike H says, two guys probably really wanted it and bid $300+ figuring no one else would drive them up that high.

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
A 40 X 200 runs about 150 from TSS. This one was pretty thick, and most likely a good finisher. IMO, the main reason the price was so high, two people got in a bidding war for it.

The only people who can explain why it sold for so much are the two individuls who bid it up so high. Without knowing the performance of the stone I would not have spent anywhere near that on it.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Wasn't me, but I stood by and watched in shock. Sorta like the 135 dollar L/G slurry stone that sold a while back. Like my grandfather always said, "it's worth what a man is willing to pay for it".

Wasn't me, but I stood by and watched in shock. Sorta like the 135 dollar L/G slurry stone that sold a while back. Like my grandfather always said, "it's worth what a man is willing to pay for it".

You mean that slurry stone David ? I really thought to cut up my 9"inch Thuringian Hone in 10 pieces ;-) haha...would have been a good deal

The coticule is just ridiculus, probably it was really the thickness of the stone ?!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Yes the slurry stone. Yeah if they continue to sell like that your 9 inch thuri would bring 1350 bucks!
The coti wasn't that thick was it? Wasn't it 3/4 total? That's not what I consider a thick combo. I think it looked thicker because there was more coti than BBW.

Top Bottom