What's new

Nib Acquisitions October 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really liking it too. I wanted something I could leave in my white coat and not worry about, but I ended up bringing them home to play with them!

I picked up this Delta Dolcevita (Medium) from the b/s/t earlier this month. I am really enjoying it.

$20141017_133138.jpg

I removed the nib and feed and gave it a thorough cleaning. I was really impressed by the nib/feed set up. It is a friction fit, and the feed is cut in an asymmetrical way, so that it will only fit the asymmetrical hole in the section in one way. I like that. I tend to worry that not putting the feed back just as it was will cause the pen not to perform correctly. I don't have to worry about that with this pen:001_smile

I am running the taboo Hero Black in the pen right now, which performs great imho.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Delta makes some cool pens (and ink).

I am running the taboo Hero Black in the pen right now, which performs great imho.

My Hero #232 is blue-black and there's nothing taboo about it. :001_smile

The ink in the pic is blue-black,I just put it in the pic for size reference (it was what was on my desk), the black in the pen is Hero 234 carbon black.

I agree...it's a fine ink. Inexpensive, waterproof, and generally well-performing. In fact, I may need to order a backup bottle soon.

As an aside, has it ever been unequivocally determined that Hero #232 is a true iron gall ink, or is it just an ink that happens to be waterproof and darken as it dries/ages on paper?

Looking through an antique shop in Ojai this weekend, I found a black Vacumatic and a grey Parker 51. Pictures later, when I am unpacked.

As promised:

Black Parker Vacumatic, 2nd quarter 1946. Probably a Major:

$IMG_1529.jpg
$IMG_1530.jpg
$IMG_1531.jpg

Grey Aerometric 51, 4th quarter 1948:
$IMG_1532.jpg
$IMG_1533.jpg

I paid $48 + tax for the Vac and $25 + tax for the "51". I probably did all right for the 51 and not so great with the Vac. I haven't seen if they fill and how they write yet.

Adding: Both pens appear to be medium-width, and the Vac is almost a stub. The Vac fills (surprise!) but it's probably due for a restoration, while the 51 does not fill (which doesn't surprise me).

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nice ones! Looks like a beautiful old two-tone nib on the Vac.

Congrats to you.

Pilot 78g w/ medium nib. My writing is poor and therefore a perfect match for the cheap copy paper at work. The purchase of this pen did cause me to break my promise to myself of letting my next pen be a Platinum Cool, but I'm willing to forgive myself this time.

Got to say this pen has surprised me. I like the lightweight, cheap feel. I like the smaller size (and I never post my pens). But I'm really impressed by the nib. Really surprisingly smooth. I even like the gold coloured nib! (and I'd always choose silver over gold).

$IMG_0865.jpg

I got this Sheaffer Snorkel Special yesterday.I then restored it myself; it was the first time I have done so, and it works great.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1413922661588.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1413922661588.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 66
Tracking info indicates I've got two Japanese surprises waiting for me at home... I'll be sure to post pics if that's the case :)

I got this Sheaffer Snorkel Special yesterday.I then restored it myself; it was the first time I have done so, and it works great.
Nice Snorkel and congrats on the restoration! I've got one sitting here that needs the same. I've got the parts but just need to overcome inertia and tackle it!

Last edited:
Nice Snorkel and congrats on the restoration! I've got one sitting here that needs the same. I've got the parts but just need to overcome inertia and tackle it!
It really wasn't that bad. I think mine was the original factory fittings and finish, so there were no amateur fixes that I had to fix. I just used Richard Binder's how to page on his site. The trickiest part was the O ring.

I think you should go for it Larry. I've seen the restorations that you have done and posted pics of on here....they always look great. I think the real trick is just having the right tools, which I'm sure you have based on the restorations you've done

Last edited:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here are my new toys!
Pilot CH 92 FM 14k nib &
Pilot Custom 74 M 14 k nib

First impressions:
The nibs on these have smoothness to spare! I'm about to get out my loupe and check for Teflon coated roller bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom