What's new

How do you choose which razor for the day?

Right now it is OCtober. The themes I find help or it can be tough to choose.

Yep. Participating in OCtober with my NEW LC. Just got done with Slantember.

I try to match the razor to the amount of beard growth.

This is pretty common for those who have some more efficient and/or aggressive razors.

I pick whichever strikes my fancy.

This is probably the most common.

Another tactic that I recently read about is something I want to try. I really like the smoothness of the Polisilver SI in my slant, but found it a little harsh. But the blade longevity seemed to beat any of my other blades as well, and it did get more comfortable around shave 3 or 4. One member suggested starting the blade in your mildest razor, and then moving it up to your most aggressive throughout the week. This does work best if you're like me and only have 5 razors total.

I am sticking with OC razors for now. I have used a NEW LC for a few months, now am using an Old Type. I am using my blades from my vast, varied inventory one at a time in each razor. I rotate blades way more than razors. I also am 3017ing my soap and cream collection.

I only need to choose a razor when the current one I'm using has a dead blade, then I alternate mild and aggressive razors - Travel Tech, then Slim set to 7+, then Merkur 34c (which is mild to me), then Slim set to 4-, then Red Tip... that sort of thing.

I change out razors when the blade goes dull (every 3-4 shaves). My rotation looks like this:

Random razor, RazoRock Aluminum Stealth Slant, Random razor, RazoRock Aluminum Stealth Slant, ...

I use the same razor for the life of the blade and then change if I feel like it to whichever I fancy at the time. It's that scientific! My ATT Kronos gets an unfairly large amount of use though.

I grab a blade first then choose the razor. If a Feather is what was on top of the pile, the AS-D2 or Tech gets called. If it's a GSB or Polsilver, then either the Mühle 89 or one of the Super Speeds steps up. Astra or Red Personna? Standard Progress.

I have 24 SE and DE razors in use. I try and change razors after I change blades. I'll go with 6 SE's and then 6 DE's in the rotation until I go thru them. I do have my favorites and vary from the rotation at times. I also rotate soaps and brushes too.

I meditate on all the razors I have and wait for the answer. :laugh:
Kidding aside, I just "feel" like picking one and I follow that desire.

I seem to get a better shave when I consistently use the same razor versus rotate every time. I think there is something to be said about truly "mastering" your technique using a certain razor as every one is slightly different. I think you have more clarity around small tweaks when you can remember what you messed up with 2 days ago, versus the last time you used it in your rotation. With that being said, I typically go back and forth between my ATT Atlas H2 and R41.

I usually go with what I feel like using on a particular day, then shave with that until the blade is used up. Then, start over again.

I use the same razor till a blade change usually three or four days. Then I either swap it for a different one or put in a fresh blade.
I rarely use the razor beyond two blade changes expectation would be my Gillette new oc.

Top Bottom