What's new

What razor next?

I've been using the cheap Van Der Hagen razor for a few weeks. It's been good, but I feel like it's not aggressive enough. What would be my next step?

Last edited:
I think everyone needs more than one. Merkur and Jagger have some good options as does Muhle. Depending on your method and skin type, you may love or hate a really aggressive razor for everyday use. I am mostly a cold water shaver and prefer moderately aggressive for everyday use and aggressive for 2 day or more growth. However, I have gotten some great single pass shaves out of an aggressive razor used daily and I've also gotten some nasty razor burn from the same.

When I used cartridges I could shave every day. My facial hair grows pretty fast and full. Since I've been DE shaving I can only shave every other day. It's like my hair isn't quite long enough the next day to get a close shave. I don't know if that makes any sense. I'm gonna go get some feather blades tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Have you considered vintage? Red tip superspeed or an adjustable? The slims are excellent razors IMO. They'll last a long time too[emoji2]

Vintage Gillette Super Speed or Tech. Classic shavers, well made, and inexpensive. What's not to like?

+1 more for the NEW, that is what I did. I also find my later model Old Types (no serial #) slightly less aggressive than my LC NEW
If vintage isn't an option maybe one of the Parker OCs like the 24c. It was on my radar before I went looking for the NEW.
A friend stepped up from the VDH/Weshi/MTO razor to a Cadet/Razorock TTO after very few shaves and loved its moderately more aggressive nature.

I completely ignored the 30-day rule during my first 30 days. Most of mine are modern, but i have been dipping my toe in the vintage game. If you know a little about what you are looking for, and where to look, vintage can be an amazing value.

If you're going to become a hobbyist like the rest of us, then you'll want to try at least one of each of the following:

Fixed Head Straight Bar - I would get a Maggard. The price is right and I've heard the handles are great even if you don't like the head.
Slant - 37c is the most cost effective, and makes a very good shaver. Also easy to sell if you don't like
Adjustable - I would go vintage Slim or Super Adjustable here
Open Comb - can't go wrong with a Vintage NEW (SC, LC or Deluxe) although many recommend the inexpensive Cadet and Fatip as well.

Have you considered vintage? Red tip superspeed or an adjustable? The slims are excellent razors IMO. They'll last a long time too[emoji2]

A vintage adjustable Gillette could be just the trick

What he said. Also, a Gillette Tech as they are a good value.

+1 vintage Gillette - Superspeed or Adjustable

For the Vintage Gillettes: New OC, RedTip, Slim.

If you're going to become a hobbyist like the rest of us, then you'll want to try at least one of each of the following:

Fixed Head Straight Bar - I would get a Maggard. The price is right and I've heard the handles are great even if you don't like the head.
Slant - 37c is the most cost effective, and makes a very good shaver. Also easy to sell if you don't like
Adjustable - I would go vintage Slim or Super Adjustable here
Open Comb - can't go wrong with a Vintage NEW (SC, LC or Deluxe) although many recommend the inexpensive Cadet and Fatip as well.

As you can see, the majority vote is for an adjustable razor, preferably the Slim.

Top Bottom