What's new

Time Savers in the morning

Prior to DE I mostly shaved with a Norelco. It took me 5 min. and really helped me get to work on time in the mornings. i take the train to work so I really have to be on time to get out the door, since I have a trail to catch! Shaving with the DE seems to take 20 min as opposed to 5 with the Norelco.

Any advice to help get through the process quickly in the mornings?

Norelco. :lol:

Seriously though, you could face lather which would help save time if you dont already, get your set up prepared the night prior, and shave right out of the shower for the best results. IMO.

There is no shortcut through the learning curve. It takes time to get the technique down: weeks or even months. Your main options are: (1) Get up 15 minutes earlier -- but if, like me, you're not a morning person, then; (2) shave the night before so you can take your time and savor the learning experience; or (3) least desirable because it drags out the learning process, use your Norelco during the week and do you your DE shaving on the weekends until you're proficient enough to get an acceptable shave in a one or two DE passes. I went the night-shaving route and really liked it. Nowadays, almost 4 years in, I shave at night about half the time and mornings the rest. If really pressed in the a.m., I can do one pass for a Socially Acceptable Shave (SAS); if I have a little more time, two passes for a Damn Fine Shave (DFS); and, ideally, three passes plus touch-up for a Baby Bottom Smooth shave (BBS). When I'm too tired to shave at night I will often -- not always -- get up 15 minutes earlier to do justice to my shave. Which is saying a lot, because I am definitely not a morning person. :scared:

Speed comes with practice and as you get more comfortable with the DE approach. Try getting up 5 minutes earlier. You should be able to get a two pass shave done in 10-12 minutes.

As "quick" DE shave for me takes 20-25 min. I can certainly get up earlier, and that is what I have been doing. I just hope I can get more efficient while enjoying my shave!

I don't think speed is a good objective for wet shaving -- especially in the morning. I have the good fortune of being retired so I can shave whenever I want [emoji2] and at the end of the day, before dinner works for me... the ritual relaxes me. If I had to shave in the morning I'd get up earlier

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You will naturally pick-up speed. I normally shave in 10-15 mins (lather, shave, aftershave, clean-up). Forcing the pace is not a good idea IMO. Face lathering makes it quicker as I do not have to clean a bowl after, the lather is already on my face when I start shaving (not in a bowl).

Have you considered shaving the night before? (Or is that not an option?)
I've done that. Lets the blood dry on a nick if it's an important meeting, interview, whathaveyou.
proxy.php

Use a shave stick and cold water shave.
+1 on this. And if not cold only tepid water.
During my wife's hospital stays I would use this technique in the en-suite bath in her hospital room to get a quick, 8-10 minute, 2-pass DFS. It kept my spirits up, so I could keep hers up.

Today I timed my shave. From washing my face to applying WH took me 10 minutes for a four pass shave. 30 seconds to wash my face, 30 seconds to load lather, a little less than 2 minutes for each pass, a little over 1 minute to clean up.

Along with face lathering a cream or soap stick (rubbing a puck on your face works too) you might consider a lather-less cream. Kiss My Face and Cremo are usually available locally.

I shave at night usually but if I couldn't I'd revise my expectations.
A one pass + touch ups with Cremo and a mild razor would give me a SAS for the day in a hurry.
Honestly, a DFS at night and a SAS in the morning both end in 5 o'clock shadow for me.

Last edited:
This question is quite contradictory as taking your time and enjoying the shave is what wet-shaving is really all about.
If you really love this style of shaving and you can't do it the night before, then you had better get up earlier to do it.
Best of luck.

This question is quite contradictory as taking your time and enjoying the shave is what wet-shaving is really all about.
If you really love this style of shaving and you can't do it the night before, then you had better get up earlier to do it.
Best of luck.

Stay off B&B in the morning. Biggest time saver of all.

There is no shortcut through the learning curve. It takes time to get the technique down: weeks or even months. Your main options are: (1) Get up 15 minutes earlier -- but if, like me, you're not a morning person, then; (2) shave the night before so you can take your time and savor the learning experience; or (3) least desirable because it drags out the learning process, use your Norelco during the week and do you your DE shaving on the weekends until you're proficient enough to get an acceptable shave in a one or two DE passes. I went the night-shaving route and really liked it. Nowadays, almost 4 years in, I shave at night about half the time and mornings the rest. If really pressed in the a.m., I can do one pass for a Socially Acceptable Shave (SAS); if I have a little more time, two passes for a Damn Fine Shave (DFS); and, ideally, three passes plus touch-up for a Baby Bottom Smooth shave (BBS). When I'm too tired to shave at night I will often -- not always -- get up 15 minutes earlier to do justice to my shave. Which is saying a lot, because I am definitely not a morning person. :scared:
You should change your name from Vice guy to wise guy because you gave some great advice. ...it's a learning process without shortcuts. Once you learn you can shave faster.I can head shave and face shave in 10 minutes.

Today I timed my shave. From washing my face to applying WH took me 10 minutes for a four pass shave. 30 seconds to wash my face, 30 seconds to load lather, a little less than 2 minutes for each pass, a little over 1 minute to clean up.

That's my time totals too. Includes head shave.

Top Bottom