What's new

German potato salad question

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Ok, I have been looking at a bunch of German potato salad recipes. Most seem to be about the same thing, with one exception- some use flower, some don't. Does anybody know what's up with that?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I think the flower thickens [the dressing]...
Tony:
proxy.php
...flour is used in the traditional 'hot / warm' version of the German Potato Salad! :thumbsup:

attachment.php
"Better a good [potato] salad than a fine coat". German Proverb

Last edited:
My grandmother was born in the Sudetenland and moved to Frankfurt after WWII. She always made two types: one that was mayonnaise-based and one that was olive oil-based. Both were cold and neither had flour in them. I made Julia Child's potato salad for her a few times, and my grandmother approved of that. Granted, I never told my grandmother that the potato salad was French, which may be why she liked it :lol:

some use flower

Daffodils or petunias? :tongue_sm

I'll bet Matt has a good one.

Sadly, it was never eaten much in my house because no one could agree whether to use mayonnaise or olive oil. So, it was just skipped :lol:

Real German potato salad is made with bacon fat with hunks of the bacon in it. Why do you ask? Because that's the way Oma made it.

My wife is German and makes a potato salad with bacon as well. Her version also has a mixture of both apples and potatoes. I know this sounds odd but the bacon, apple potato mixture compliments each other.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
^^^That sounds delicious. I'm Scot, German and Sioux mixed all together. It always makes my recipes ingredients at war with each other. Hot sauce helps a lot. German tater salad is gouuuuud.

Top Bottom