What's new

Pick two please

Well, I'm thinking I'm going to clear house with some shaving gear in order to scratch my fountain pen acquisition itch. As is, I have two VPs, two TWSBIs, and a Lamy Vista.

Pros of current collection:
I love the novelty and the solid heft of my VPs.
I love the springiness in the VP medium nib
I love the heft and filling mechanism of my TWSBI 580 rose gold
I love the portability of my TWSBI mini

Cons:
I'm distracted by how noisy my 580 and Vista nibs are
My vista feels fragile and too light compared to my more solid pens
My vista likes to slow start with Noodlers 54th

Options:
Lamy 2000 (probably M)
Pilot Falcon (probably SF)
Another Vanishing Point
Edison Nouveau (probably one of the italic nibs)

Do any of you enjoy similar characteristics? Which two would you choose?
I know this is kind of silly because they could all be great pens, but this is what we do here, right??

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Pilot or Edison. Oh heck, get 'em both.

Pilot because of the nib, Nouveau because of the shape -- like a Sheaffer Balance, one of my favorites.

Your issues with the Vista could be the ink. I find 54th Massachusetts grumpy in some pens.

For me, since I have none of the four, I would probably choose the Lamy 2000 and either the VP or the Edison.

Your issues with the Vista could be the ink. I find 54th Massachusetts grumpy in some pens.

For me, since I have none of the four, I would probably choose the Lamy 2000 and either the VP or the Edison.

Very interesting... Any particular way you've found to override that grumpiness?

Pilot Falcon, are you looking at the metal or the resin version, the resin would be a super light pen But I would take this pen either way

Lamy 2000 seems to fit into what you seem quite a bit

Pilot Falcon, are you looking at the metal or the resin version, the resin would be a super light pen But I would take this pen either way

Lamy 2000 seems to fit into what you seem quite a bit

Thanks James. I was thinking resin since it's about half the price of the metal.
Would you say the resin version feels flimsy or fragile?

No, I love Pilots resin pens, they are incredibly light, but they may take a bit to get used to for someone who is familiar with heavy pens. They dont rattle or bend or anything, they are just super light is all..... which is amazing for long writing sessions btw, specially while you begin to tame that nib

No, I love Pilots resin pens, they are incredibly light, but they may take a bit to get used to for someone who is familiar with heavy pens. They dont rattle or bend or anything, they are just super light is all..... which is amazing for long writing sessions btw, specially while you begin to tame that nib

OK. I'm thinking the special characteristics of the nib may redeem the lower weight. Springiness is very fun to me!

Falcon Resin - 19g
Lamy Vista - 17g
Metal Falcon - 33g
Vanishing Point - 30g

I have also had issues with 54 Mass, I don't even use it anymore.

Now, the pens that you are thinking about are all nice. Since you have 2 VP, I would eliminate that. If you really like the nibs on the VP, I think you will really like the nib on the Lamy 2000, though they run much wider than the VP nibs. They write nice and wet and have a nice spring to them. They also hold a ton more ink than the VP.

Edisons, you can't go wrong with any Edison, especially if you get an Ebonite pen!

The Falcon I do not have any experience with, so I cannot speak to it other than the fact that I have read complaints about how light it is. The nib though is something that I am interested in!

Good luck.

The Falcon with an SF nib is a lot of fun. Edisons are also great. The 2000 medium nib will be like most manufacturer's broad nibs. Nice pens though. Maybe wait and save up for the 2014 B&B limited edition. Just another option to consider.

-Andy

The Falcon with an SF nib is a lot of fun. Edisons are also great. The 2000 medium nib will be like most manufacturer's broad nibs. Nice pens though. Maybe wait and save up for the 2014 B&B limited edition. Just another option to consider.

-Andy

That's intriguing! Do we know anything else about the 2014 pen just yet? Any timeline?

Well, thanks all for weighing in! Turns out I had more items to sell than previously thought so I sold enough for three pens.
I went with the 2000 and the Falcon (resin) for now. The "third pen" money will be reserved for possible auction use, possible winter quarter Edison Nouveau SE, or possibly even this 2014 B&B pen whose mere mention has piqued my interest.
Thanks all for sharing your thoughts and I promise to share some pics upon receipt!

(I also picked up a tuning kit to address my Lamy Vista nib issue. Let the tinkering begin!)

Well, thanks all for weighing in! Turns out I had more items to sell than previously thought so I sold enough for three pens.
I went with the 2000 and the Falcon (resin) for now. The "third pen" money will be reserved for possible auction use, possible winter quarter Edison Nouveau SE, or possibly even this 2014 B&B pen whose mere mention has piqued my interest.
Thanks all for sharing your thoughts and I promise to share some pics upon receipt!

(I also picked up a tuning kit to address my Lamy Vista nib issue. Let the tinkering begin!)
I believe we are still in a no comment phase, but are shooting for a late Q4 release
Its a bit off yet as i understand it... but then things change unexpectedly which is why there hasnt been much said yet lol

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Pilot Custom Heritage 92 ... Pilot nib ... cool filling mechanism with big reservoir ... high quality construction ... search e-bay for great prices from direct Japanese sellers ...

I believe we are still in a no comment phase ...

No comment on whether we are in a no comment phase yet.

If you find the Lamy 2000 nib doesn't have the flex you are after...

I have a Lamy 2000 with a Pendleton Brown .8mm stub nib. I don't like much flex so I didn't ask him for that modification. That said, he does add flex to nibs.

My Pendleton Brown modified Lamy 2000 has become my favorite pen.

Just something to think about if the nib is stiffer than you care for.

Last edited:
If you find the Lamy 2000 nib doesn't have the flex you are after...

I have a Lamy 2000 with a Pendleton Brown .8mm stub nib. I don't like much flex so I didn't ask him for that modification. That said, he does add flex to nibs.

My Pendleton Brown modified Lamy 2000 has become my favorite pen.

Just something to think about if the nibs stiffer than you care for.

Thanks for the tip! Hopefully the falcon will suffice in the flex department so I can enjoy the springiness in the other gold nibs.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom