What's new

I need a high quality, bulletproof, million lights pipe lighter

Hey guys. First post in the Brown leaf. Cigarette and pipe smoker. I would like to get a thumb start, non flip top, tight flame. Flame can be candle or torch. I don't mind paying for quality. You get what you pay for, at least most of the time. I had 2 Lotus combination lighters that were expensive but did not last more than 8 months before they wore out and quit. Maybe a $200 limit. I only use one lighter and want to keep any sort od lighter AD from festering. lol . Hopefully one and done. I am using a fluorescent green djeep now. Please help.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hey guys. First post in the Brown leaf. Cigarette and pipe smoker. I would like to get a thumb start, non flip top, tight flame. Flame can be candle or torch. I don't mind paying for quality. You get what you pay for, at least most of the time. I had 2 Lotus combination lighters that were expensive but did not last more than 8 months before they wore out and quit. Maybe a $200 limit. I only use one lighter and want to keep any sort od lighter AD from festering. lol . Hopefully one and done. I am using a fluorescent green djeep now. Please help.

Xikar Resource, especially if you lose pipe tools left and right light I do. They have a no questions asked lifetime warranty. If you have problems, you can either send it back or go to a local authorized Xikar dealer. They will fix you up, whether you bought it there or not.

Attachments

• $Sept_acquisition.jpg
    $Sept_acquisition.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Don't use a torch lighter on a pipe.

IM Corona is good. So too are the Peterson candle flame lighters.

Like this?

http://www.amazon.com/IM-Corona-Rho...TF8&qid=1412127974&sr=1-13&keywords=im+corona

I like the looks a lot; but it looks like it might be fragile with the exposed mechanism. How is the assembly as far as durability is concerned?

Are the tools on the xikar pretty durable?

I wonder if Bear Grylls has a lighter and what it would be?

Yup... that's an Old Boy.

I don't think you have to worry about anything. I've dropped mine multiple times with zero issue. It's one of the only lighters I've owned that has had literally zero issues in the ~1 year I've owned it.

Or here, if you want to save a couple of bucks

http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/lighters/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=2883

and there is nothing fragile about it, it is a tank

Like this?

http://www.amazon.com/IM-Corona-Rho...TF8&qid=1412127974&sr=1-13&keywords=im+corona

I like the looks a lot; but it looks like it might be fragile with the exposed mechanism. How is the assembly as far as durability is concerned?

Are the tools on the xikar pretty durable?

I wonder if Bear Grylls has a lighter and what it would be?

What about the standard vertical lighters, anything with similar attributes as the other two? Survival lighter is another description that comes to mind anything along those lines?

The Old Boy is known to be "the one" when it comes to pipe lighters. Someday I hope to own one to find out. Until then if I can't use matches I use my Zippo with the pipe insert.

xikar's r nice and are cheaper than the old boy and the warranty and customer service from xikar is awesome, its a nice alternative to a $150-$200 lighter. But I have a IM Double corona that I use as a soft flame cigar lighter that is really nice and well built, no experience with an old boy, but if its as well built as the double corona then im sure its a rock solid unit.

My old boy is just beyond good. It's not worth it in dollar value but as it was gifted by swmbo I can use it without consideration of cost and from that perspective it's a fine piece of kit. Solid, good weight and a great flame. Everything about it feels right.

I have been keeping an eye on the Kiribi lighters and in particular the link below. One issue with I have with my pipeline style lighters is that the fuel tank runs out quickly, some have pipe tools in them. The kiribi doesn't have the pipe tools which is fine for me as I find it far more annoying to run out fuel quickly or realize it after I have my self setup.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/lighters/80401/kiribi-mikazuki/

You're very close to old boy pricing there.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Old boy owner here, but use one of my Zippos most of the time since I smoke out of doors. Everyone should have at least one Zippo, lifetime free repair. They are cheap but work every time. Old boy is reliable and a classic as well. Xikar falls in the middle, not had one myself (yet), but lots of satisfied owners.

Top Bottom