What's new

Heirloom Genco 4/8

My parents are cleaning out their basement. I have been looking for my grandfather's (born 1903) straights. As best I can recall, he had two. My folks found this Genco in a Peter J. Michaels box. Hopefully the other one will turn up.

They also found a 1940's super Speed, but we all know what those look like, so I am not posting photo.

Very cool nonetheless and I can't wait to get it honed and apply to my ugly mug.

Is there any way to get an approximate date on this?

Sorry the pics are sideways. For some reason, this happens when posting straight from an iPhone.

$IMG_0345[1].jpg

$IMG_0343[1].jpg

$IMG_0344[1].jpg

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Congratulations!

I would guess the date between 1928 and 1935 based on Uniclectia:

GENEVA CUTLERY CO.
Geneva, New York
By 1912, the largest US manufacturer of razors. In 1928, firm reorganized as Geneva Cutlery Inc.
Used "GENCO" trademark
ca. 1902-1935

Sweet looking old razor! Is it harder to shave well with a 4/8 than say, a 5/8 or 6/8? I know that I see a few old 4/8's like yours, but never any new "modern" 4/8 straights. I assume there must be a reason why they are much less common.

I have not tried this one yet. I am not accomplished with the straights that I do have and those are all 6/8. From what I read, a small, lighter blade like this can tend to skip some.

Others who know more can provide more input.

Sweet looking old razor! Is it harder to shave well with a 4/8 than say, a 5/8 or 6/8? I know that I see a few old 4/8's like yours, but never any new "modern" 4/8 straights. I assume there must be a reason why they are much less common.

Typically 3/8 and 4/8 seems to have been marketed more for tailoring mustache than shaving.
Their becoming scarce might just be due to the decline in popularity of the stash.

Very nice old American steel, congrats.

As far as shaving with them; I find a small razor extremely easy to use. Most folks love those big choppers but most likely never thought about how well a small razor could perform.

Top Bottom