What's new

Creating a lather

Hi there..

Before I move onto using a DE razor I want to perfect my shave with an M3 first as they're not too good and can't get shave even relatively close in some areas. I normally use shaving gel but as part of preparing for DE shaving I want to start using cream with my mach 3.

I was wondering if there is a good tutorial to use for lathering up with cream (that is in a tube) without a bowl with pictures?

Also a couple of questions:

1. Why is the important of lathering up as such stressed so much when on the tubes of shaving gel it just says to apply straight to face ("Apply thin layer on wet face. Massage into beard, shave.")
2. Is there any different between cream in a tube and cream in a tub?

Thank you.

As far as videos on how to check out Mantic's youtube videos they are great, :thumbup1:

If you are referring to say for example either trumpers west indies shave cream either in a tub or a tube there is no difference, either with the proper brush can be lathered on the face as well which is what I belive the instructions are referring to and many on this forum do just that, although some of us use a mixing bowl but either is just a matter of personal preference

Oh so there is no real need for a brush? Sorry but I'm confused as in all the threads I'd read and videos I'd watched the whole process of lathering up and using a brush is really stressed and I didn't realise you can just apply it straight to your face with hands instead?

well while you can apply it with you hands you definitely want a brush to create the lather be it on your face or in a bowl and depending on your preference there would be what kind of brush you would get although any would work some are better then others for face lathering

just to clarify I am referring to a typical shave cream found either in a tub or a tube as in in Trumpers, AOS, etc, most typical shave creams are concentrated and a little dab will create mountains of lather if mixed properly, you would not want to just apply it to face without lathering it up as it would be too thick

there are some brushless shave creams but they are in a tube only to my knowledge they are creamo cream, musgo and kmf

well while you can apply it with you hands you definitely want a brush to create the lather be it on your face or in a bowl and depending on your preference there would be what kind of brush you would get although any would work some are better then others for face lathering

just to clarify I am referring to a typical shave cream found either in a tub or a tube as in in Trumpers, AOS, etc, most typical shave creams are concentrated and a little dab will create mountains of lather if mixed properly, you would not want to just apply it to face without lathering it up as it would be too thick

there are some brushless shave creams but they are in a tube only to my knowledge they are creamo cream, musgo and kmf
Okay so would the correct way to do it be squeeze an almond sized amount of cream from the tube into my palm, rub two palms together then apply to (wet) face, then swirl (wet) brush around creating lather?

Okay so would the correct way to do it be squeeze an almond sized amount of cream from the tube into my palm, rub two palms together then apply to (wet) face, then swirl (wet) brush around creating lather?

well that is one way of doing it and would work, but I would say the more common way would be to soak your brush first shake out excess water and squeeze an almond sized snurdle directly onto the center of the brush and apply to face and lather in a cricular motion that way avoiding wasting any by getting it on your hands as well as not getting hands and then everything else super slick with shave cream

Hi, I just tried to do this, soaked brush, shook out excess water, squeezed almond size amount of cream onto center of brush then tried to apply to my face, but nothing would appear on my face.. I tried it a few times, and once or twice or the crea would just come off in one go, but not like a lather, just the almond sized bit, which is useless, or nothing!

What am I doing wrong :S

It seems you're trying to face lather, I had the same problem as you. I found that by swirling my brush in the tub a few times and then massaging my face with the brush created nice lather. Check out the shaveblog videos on youtube as well as Mantics (thogh he does go on a bit), and then try again. Also write perfect shave in google and read the article by msnbc.. its how i discovered wetshaving.

It's shaving cream. Crankymouse, thanks for the tutorial link but that is for soap and also involves a bowl, so I'm assuming it won't be the same steps for me?

Thank you

It's shaving cream. Crankymouse, thanks for the tutorial link but that is for soap and also involves a bowl, so I'm assuming it won't be the same steps for me?

Thank you

What kind of cream. The kinds of creams usually discussed around here lather up with a brush nicely. However, some of them are "brushless" and are best applied straight to the face in a thin layer. You can try to lather those but you won't have much luck. Some, like the Kiss My Face line of shave creams, work either way, lathered up with a brush or applied straight to the face.

We need to know what brand of shaving cream you're using, because there are some, like American Crew, for example, that won't lather up no matter how much you try. I've always used a bowl with shave cream, my best results have come from Kiss My Face and CO Bigelow (Proraso). Use an old, somewhat large soup bowl and you should be able to create gobs of great lather..

Remember, not all shave creams lather up with a brush.

-Mason

I am a soap and mug guy myself. There are some tutorial on this as well.
What I do: while filling the sink with VERY hot water, i put a little water in the mug with the soap. I soak the brush in the sink. I pour off the excess water from the mug, give the brush a shake or to, and then start swirling the brush in the mug. I get very decent lather this way. I then apply the nice hot lather in a circular motion on my face. (make sure your face is wet also). I use a Badger brush. The brush feels great on your skin and will prep your beard nicely. I leave the mug in the sink with the hot water just to keep it hot for my second pass. This works well for me, but I guess we all have our own methods!! Keep at it, you will be a pro with just a little practice!!

Kind Regards,

It is Clinique Shaving Cream, at the back it says just apply to wet face and massage in.. But that doesn't necessarily mean it is brushless does it?

Is it a bad idea to use brushless creams with DE razors?

It is Clinique Shaving Cream, at the back it says just apply to wet face and massage in.. But that doesn't necessarily mean it is brushless does it?

Is it a bad idea to use brushless creams with DE razors?

I would say that yes, that would imply that it's brushless.. all the brushless shave creams I've tried have similar instructions..

Most creams work better when you follow the instructions. If you happen to find a cream that lathers up with a brush, you'll know it. Otherwise, just follow the instructions on the container. (If there's a cream out there that will lather up with a brush, it's a good bet that someone has discussed it on this site somewhere)

You'll find that guys here get offended when they try to lather up a brushless cream with their brush and it doesn't work, they think the product is defective somehow. Well, NO, they just didn't follow the instructions..

I wouldn't think using a brushless cream with a DE would be a problem at all, but I'm not a DE user.

-Mason

Keep trying you'll get it. There are some great lathering inexpensive creams out there. Most you can get online.

Oh, also, I believe once you get a cream that you like--and its designed to lather with a brush-- then you can control how thick or how watery/lite your lather is by just how much water you add to it.

However, some creams will dry out on your face quicker than others.

My advice is to use a bowl and brush:

1. soak the brush in warm/hot water for a few seconds - shake out excess water
2. place almond size amount of cream into the bowl
3. lather the cream with the brush - press the brush into the bowl lightly so that the whole surface of the brush is working into building the lather
4. apply water as necessary - until you get "peaks" of moist lather

using a bowl I find you get a better lather, and more lather! Which is excellent is you enjoy multiple passes and the comfort of being able to use the lather liberally and not worry about running short.

Also if it dries out - no worries! you have so much lather in the bowl - just add some water to return the moisture - a few drops is usually all it takes

on a final note - i have sensitive skin so i find lathering directly on the face quite irritating

Top Bottom