What's new

Naming Your Local Area Network

Mine now is "I pooped my pants"
It used to be "who grabbed my ***"

There are a ton of funny, passive aggressive network names captured in screen shots and posted online. They're worth a look sometime.

While not my LAN, when I tether my iPhone, I see this

$FullSizeRender.jpg

I used to live in a neighborhood where everyone around me had vastly different views than me, politically.

I used my address to inform them of my opinion of who they overwhelmingly supported in 2008.

I change mine often just to watch the neighbors flip.

Currently it's "ISIS terrorist cell 13" :thumbup1:

ive also used "EraseYourDevice"

"FreeVirusDownload"

"UploadYourImages"

"FBI survalance van"

"SelfDestructInitiated"

"ImReadingYourMessages"
I fixed it.

I just use my house number and street name. Not real clever, but when I set this up, I felt the need to clearly identify myself.

Some of my neighbors are:
maryanne
topbus1
TallDeer (they live next door, and TallDeer was the default factory setting on their Cisco router.)
Linksys (I don't know who he is, but this guy must put out the world's strongest signal. I see him everywhere!)

Someday I'll change it, but I'm in no hurry. You guys have given me some good ideas.

My wifi is "NSA Prism Server."

I have a Top Gear theme to naming my devices. My main machine is Clarkson, the laptop is Hamster, and my home theater PC is Stig.

When I build a new PC, it will become Clarkson and the old one becomes May (aka Captain Slow)

I've also been trying to figure out how to make mine look like this:

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

like the Doctor Who episode Bells of Saint John. My router doesn't seem to accept unicode though.

Some other clever ones I've seen or read on the internet are are:

The LAN before time
Not yours (someone in my college apt complex had this one)
wutangLAN
Drop it like its hotspot
ItHurtsWhenIP
413 turn your music down( another one I saw in college)
we can hear you having sex (a friend used this one when living in an apt with very thin walls...)
burn the LAN and boil the C, you can't take the wifi from me
Password is fish (then the password is obviously not fish)

Previously, our computers, hardware, etc were named for favorite cities. The network was the crown jewel: SAN DIEGO.

Recently I changed our Apple ecosystem to a Star Wars Theme:
iMac: Yoda
MacBook Air: Obi-Wan
my iPhone: Han Solo
wife's iPhone: Queen Amidala
iPad: Chewbacca
Ancient, slow PC laptop: Vader

And the network: The Force

"It surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together." -Obi-Wan Kenobi

Last edited:
Top Bottom