What's new

Is there a difference between the blades made in St. Petersburg Russia?

As many of you know, Gillette has bought up many DE razor blade manufactures throughout the world and moved their manufacture to their St. Petersburg, Russia manufacturing facility. The razor blade brands made there are Gillette Super Stainless (Swedes), Gillette Platinum, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless (green package), Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless (yellow package), Permasharp, Iridium Super, Astra, Sputnik, Polsilver, Polsilver Super Iridium, Rotbart, Nacet, and Tiger. There may be more that I have missed or some have been discontinued but it is a large list. The question is, are there now any differences between the brands? Gillette could very easily change the steel, the honing and the coatings to differentiate between them, or are they the same razor blades into different packaging?

There is HUGE differences.

IMO, the PPI plant currently produces the worst and the best blades available and they are the Gillette Stainless and the Gillette Platinum, respectively.

There is HUGE differences.

IMO, the PPI plant currently produces the worst and the best blades available and they are the Gillette Stainless and the Gillette Platinum, respectively.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about, as well as versions of, the Gillette Stainless. Could you please be absolutely specific about which version you are referring to and post a photo if possible, please?

There seems to be a lot of confusion about, as well as versions of, the Gillette Stainless. Could you please be absolutely specific about which version you are referring to and post a photo if possible, please.

Yeah, of course. I should have been specific as there is more than one version. I meant these:

$CAM00577.jpg

YMMV, but these are the worst blades I have tried.

OK, thanks. Interestingly, G.D. Carrington rated those as good on his review page (can't link due to rules here). I have never seen this version for sale in the USA and would love to try one.

I have tried many of them and they are all very good but there is a difference. For example: Astra is not in the same class as Polsilver SI or 7 O'clock Yellow but is still a good blade and much cheaper. There are variations in sharpness, composition, durability and price but I would use any of them.

Yes somewhat, but there is no proven correlation between how a blade looks and how it shaves.

Not to mention that one blade isn't necessarily a representation of all blades since there are tolerances. A consistent blade will have tighter QC standards but you will still see some variance.

Not to mention that one blade isn't necessarily a representation of all blades since there are tolerances. A consistent blade will have tighter QC standards but you will still see some variance.

In my opinion, that is because some people judge a blade entirely by "how it feels" not taking into consideration the other factors that come into play during a shave.

In other words, unless a scientific process is followed, the variance some people experience while shaving with the same brand, could come from other sources.

I have very little experience when it comes to shaving.

Just out of pure curiosity, is there a list that identifies all those different names of blades to the original market (country, or store chain) they initially were destined for pre-internet?

In my opinion, that is because some people judge a blade entirely by "how it feels" not taking into consideration the other factors that come into play during a shave.

In other words, unless a scientific process is followed, the variance some people experience while shaving with the same brand, could come from other sources.

I have very little experience when it comes to shaving.

It's almost impossible to gauge something objectively when it is almost completely a subjective matter, e.g., "love".

I would get the Russian secretary at work to help with this one, but assuming by her 7 O'clock shadow, her blade experience is limited. :lol:

Top Bottom