What's new

Got my starter kit. Now what?

I've been on the road for three weeks. During that time I received my sampler pack of blades, my Badger and Blade Omega boar brush and my Proraso soap. I need to find a good stand on which to hang the brush for drying.
I'm ready to get started.

I'll probably be using my 1940ish Gillette Aristocrat. I have the following blades from the sampler:
Astra Platinum
Personna Platiunum
Feather Hi-stainless
Derby Extra
Crystal

My beard is tough and fast growing. If I shave in the morning, I need to do it again if I'm hoping for some good kissin' that night. What is the suggested order of blades that I should experiment with? Should I start with the least aggressive and move up, or vice versa?

The Proraso soap came in a tub/covered bowl. Should I wet the brush and build a foam in the soap container or should I gouge out a little dab of soap and build the lather in another dish, such as an old coffee mug?

Thanks!

Welcome to B&B! Lots of knowledge here.

I'd start with either the Astra or Personnas. Both are smooth and sharp. Great razor, BTW.

As for lathering, I would suggest face lathering. Eliminates a step and helps get the lather under your beard. After soaking your brush, load it form the tub for about 30 seconds. Then start building the lather directly on your face (your face should be damp but not wet). There are lots of videos on YouTube and step-by-step instructions with pictures in the Shave Wiki.

Make sure to do a break in of your brush. Again there are instructions in the wiki.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I need to find a good stand on which to hang the brush for drying.
I'm ready to get started.Thanks!

Try this:

$bathroom-safety-razor-and-brush-stand-with-shaving--UDU2Ny0xNjcwODQuNTEyOTk4.jpg

Welcome to B & B. I'm new too. I started with personna. As mentioned above both smooth and sharp. As far as a brush stand it's my understanding that it's not necessary. I rinse my brush thoroughly, squeeze, shake then wipe on a towel. I'm a every other day shaver so my brush has time to dry. You can always blow dry on low cool until you get another brush to rotate. Checkout the Wiki on here. Lots of great information. Enjoy!!!!

Welcome to the forum and no need to use a brush stand as the brush will dry just as quickly, standing on it own. I would highly suggest choosing one blade and using it for a few months to perfect your technique and to minimize variables. Good luck.

Welcome to B&B! Lots of knowledge here.

I'd start with either the Astra or Personnas. Both are smooth and sharp. Great razor, BTW.

As for lathering, I would suggest face lathering. Eliminates a step and helps get the lather under your beard. After soaking your brush, load it form the tub for about 30 seconds. Then start building the lather directly on your face (your face should be damp but not wet). There are lots of videos on YouTube and step-by-step instructions with pictures in the Shave Wiki.

Make sure to do a break in of your brush. Again there are instructions in the wiki.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

As another newbie, only 1 month in now. This is really good advice. I would also suggest watching a some videos online about the actual shaving as well. Apart from that, just take it slow and enjoy the process. Remember no pressure on the razor. Let us know how it goes.

Clint

Hello and welcome. Just jump right in. The water's fine! Good pointers above. Take your time and be careful with pressure (none) and blade to face angle and you'll do fine.

Lathering: try it in a bowl, try it on your face, see which one gets you better results. Buy yourself another soap or cream in case you have trouble with what you got.

Technique: remember two things simultaneously every second of every shave--zero pressure and proper blade angle. And don't go over the same spot twice without re-lathering. Eventually it will be second nature for you, but for now it will take active concentration.

General: Settle for mediocre at first. There's a learning curve, so don't give up just because you're not mastering it right away. You're learning a life skill.

Blades: Try three blades, then try them again. Whichever one you like best, stick with only that brand for at least ten shaves in a row, preferably longer, before branching out. The longer you stick with a single brand, the more you can learn about technique.

What else to buy: aftershave balm, something to soothe razor burn if you end up with that. I did, and Nivea sensitive balm was a godsend.

I've been on the road for three weeks. During that time I received my sampler pack of blades, my Badger and Blade Omega boar brush and my Proraso soap. I need to find a good stand on which to hang the brush for drying.
I'm ready to get started.

I'll probably be using my 1940ish Gillette Aristocrat. I have the following blades from the sampler:
Astra Platinum
Personna Platiunum
Feather Hi-stainless
Derby Extra
Crystal

My beard is tough and fast growing. If I shave in the morning, I need to do it again if I'm hoping for some good kissin' that night. What is the suggested order of blades that I should experiment with? Should I start with the least aggressive and move up, or vice versa?

The Proraso soap came in a tub/covered bowl. Should I wet the brush and build a foam in the soap container or should I gouge out a little dab of soap and build the lather in another dish, such as an old coffee mug?

Thanks!

As Jim advised, stick to one blade for a while.

Nice starter kit!

Mantic's videos on Sharpologist would be an excellent place to start, as would sticking to 1 blade.

My own tips are in a guide (link in my signature)

Lathering: try it in a bowl, try it on your face, see which one gets you better results. Buy yourself another soap or cream in case you have trouble with what you got.

Technique: remember two things simultaneously every second of every shave--zero pressure and proper blade angle. And don't go over the same spot twice without re-lathering. Eventually it will be second nature for you, but for now it will take active concentration.

General: Settle for mediocre at first. There's a learning curve, so don't give up just because you're not mastering it right away. You're learning a life skill.

Blades: Try three blades, then try them again. Whichever one you like best, stick with only that brand for at least ten shaves in a row, preferably longer, before branching out. The longer you stick with a single brand, the more you can learn about technique.

What else to buy: aftershave balm, something to soothe razor burn if you end up with that. I did, and Nivea sensitive balm was a godsend.
+1 Welcome to B&B, great advice above!

Top Bottom