What's new

Found a Parker 51 Vac and a Snorkel - Help with further identification please

Wasn't looking for pens but found these two in a jar in Ogunquit, Me. They were not behind glass. They were just standing there in a jar. I'll state my opinions but I'd appreciate being set straight. Both will be sent to Danny Fudge this week.

The cap on this 51 looks like a 1st year Wedding Band Cap. It's chrome with a clear, silvery jewel. It is not a metal jewel. The pen itself is a deep blue. The plastic button/plunger under the end cap is throwing me. It doesn't seem to go with the rest of the pen. My research says the plastic button/plunger came along late in the 51 Vac's product builds. It's a fine point and it writes smoothly. The nib is off-center but the wear on the nib looks even. When I checked it out I saw lots of dried ink on the nib. It was caked on. It dissolved in warm water in seconds. When I saw that I bought the pen.

Jump in with opinions please. What have I found? When was this pen or, its parts if the body and cap don't match, made?

$DSCN1325 Parker 51 Vac.jpg

This Sheaffer Snorkel is in really good shape. It sucks and spits water with no hassles. The water came out clear so I decided to leave well enough alone and send it to Danny clean. The nib is beautiful. It's an M5 (Medium 14K 2T Triumph) nib according to Richard Binder's reference pages. The lip leans a bit to one side. I've asked Danny to repair it along with the restoration. The white dot sticks out. Help with the model and year is greatly appreciated.

$DSCN1327 - Snorkel.jpg

Nice pens. I can't help with the identification, but I'm pretty sure there's a guy who knows a thing or 20,000 about 51's, who will jump in here shortly :)

Edit: He already has :thumbup:

If I remember correctly the plastic plungers showed up in 1942, because of the shortage of aluminium.

Check the engraving just below the clutch ring for the date... will be a single number from 2 to 8 with some dots

Last edited:
Didn't dabble in vintage much, but your Snork appears to wear an Autograph band. Those are always nice!

Looks like a 2 with one dot. Is that the third quarter of 1942? (It's really hard to make this out. This pen was used a lot or it rode around in a pocket full time. No bite marks, mars or scratches. Just gentle wear.

Thanks for the year guesstimate based on the plastic button Brian.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The band is wide and in good shape. Any guess as to the model?

Not an Autograph but perhaps a Signature (depends on the gold filled band, I think -- Sig is solid gold)

I'd go with the Valiant and I'm sticking to it. Been collecting Sheaffers for years.

Looks like a 2 with one dot. Is that the third quarter of 1942? (It's really hard to make this out. This pen was used a lot or it rode around in a pocket full time. No bite marks, mars or scratches. Just gentle wear.

Thanks for the year guesstimate based on the plastic button Brian.

third qtr 42 would be a 2 with 1 dot.... Nice Find !!!

Not an Autograph but perhaps a Signature (depends on the gold filled band, I think -- Sig is solid gold)

I'd go with the Valiant and I'm sticking to it. Been collecting Sheaffers for years.
I agree...definitely a Valiant (White Dot pen with plastic cap, two-tone 14k gold conical Triumph nib).

Thanks to one and all for helping me scope out these pens. Both will be on their way to Danny tomorrow morning. I'll post the after restoration pictures in this thread and in the "Acquisitions this Month" thread.

Top Bottom