What's new

Strop Recommendation for a newbie with a budget of $100-150

As the subject says, I'm looking for recommendations for a good strop that is wide enough that I won't have to do the x pattern on it. I believe my blade is 5/8. Ideally I want the best bang per buck, and would like to spend around $100. However, if there is a considerable reason to get one that is more expensive, I could go up to $150. Thanks in advance!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
If this is your first straight. but a strop for much less cash as you'll probably ending up giving it more than a few shaving nicks. I would recommend either a whipped dog poor man's strop, Star Shaving strop, or pick up one from a hobbyist listing here.

You're going to learn the x-stroke anyways. Even when I had a 3" strop, I used it without thinking. Pushing your arm out makes a natural "curve" to your stoke.

I have a dovo strop that has one linen side. I'm tired of doing the X pattern, and the dovo strop has had paste on it before. My understanding is that there should a be strop designated for paste and one without paste. But I could be wrong!

Don't assume a 2.5 inch strop or xstroke are difficult. 2.5 inch strops evolved as the optimal size. Lighter draw.less cupping etc.. If you ask people who have stropped for decades most would choose 2.5. For 150 you can get a Kanayama #3 which includes an awesome suede strop and the ultimate horse cordovan. My 3 inch English Bridle Leather is now in a cabinet. The 2.5 Tony Miller gets rave reviews but no suede, linen instead. Linen is good stuff.

End of this video is the 2 1/2 inch Kanayama Suede and Cordovan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9twAOYV3f5w&feature=youtu.be The xstrokes you see are all you need and nothing difficult. You don't need to do an xstroke like you see on honing video. Just enough to get the heel and toe in one stroke.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
How much experience do you have stropping? You'll make many tens of thousands of strokes per year on your strop, so you should be pretty certain of your technique before you spend a lot on one. Hard to beat a Tony Miller plus a practice strop at any price.

I'm a little confused about the X stroke. Let's say the razor has side A with the logo, and side B. Am I supposed to go diagonal one direction with side A up and then the other diagonal with side B up, or do I need to make a full X with with one side and then a full X with another? It doesn't seem right to me that one side gets / while the other side gets \.

How much experience do you have stropping? You'll make many tens of thousands of strokes per year on your strop, so you should be pretty certain of your technique before you spend a lot on one. Hard to beat a Tony Miller plus a practice strop at any price.

I just looked at that Tony Miller heirloom with the 2 1/2 inch practice strop. I think that deal makes sense. But you can also get a whipped dog practice strop and the Kanayama later. I can't understate how great the suede component is on the #3 from AFrames Tokyo.

Last edited:
Go for the Star Shaving for today. Save some of that $150 for when you are a little more experienced and then get a Tony Miller.

To return to the 2-1/2" wide subject again, I like it because it allows me to grip the end of the strop with my off-hand, as in using a barber's end cut. 3" wide is too wide for this, and 2" wide is doable, but is dominated by the off-hand. 2-1/2" wide is the perfect fit.

What is barber’s end cut? Is it like a strop with no dee ring nor handle on the side where one pulls the thingy?

Do you know what type of paste is on your linen strop? If it is abrasive and meant for honing, I agree you should have a second clean strop. I think there is a Dovo paste, though, that is non-abrasive and which would not require a second strop.

What is barber’s end cut? Is it like a strop with no dee ring nor handle on the side where one pulls the thingy?

Yup, barber's cut = strop leather cut square on the holding end.

Yes, the square-cut end with no D-ring or handle. My favorite strop is a 2-1/2" Walkin' Horse horsebutt strop. To use it, I ignore the D-ring and just grip it barber style with my off-hand at the end of the leather.

Jeez that will be such a headache to choose which kind of end cut the day I invest in a quality strop (don’t say buy them all :laugh:)

Actually if I had unlimited money, I would certainly do that :001_tt2:

Well at least I will be able to try a barber’s end cut soon: I am waiting for a Scrupleworks practice/beginner strop. If I like it, my choice is done. If not, then headache.

Actually if I had unlimited money, I would certainly do that :001_tt2:

Well at least I will be able to try a barber’s end cut soon: I am waiting for a Scrupleworks practice/beginner strop. If I like it, my choice is done. If not, then headache.

I like the Scrupleworks strops a lot. For travel (what I'm using now), I have a custom 2"-wide with horse-hide and oil-tanned pieces and separated cotton element loaded with soap. I had Torolf shorten the length to 20" as I find 24" with a 2"-wide strop to be too long. They are on the thin side though, compared to the WH horsebutt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom