What's new

Ultrasonic Cleaner

I just received a FatBoy that's in need of a cleaning. I have axis to an ultrasonic cleaner what should I use as solution in the cleaner? Dish soap or something else. Let me know what you think will work best.

You might want to think in terms of a suds-free detergent! I've never put dish soap in an ultrasonic cleaner but based on the fact it vibrates the dickens out of whatever is in it, suds might prove challenging.

You can use dish soap. The vibrations actually break up any suds. Sometimes I use jewelry cleaner, but most of the time, just plain Palmolive.
What type did you get?

I just received a FatBoy that's in need of a cleaning. I have axis to an ultrasonic cleaner what should I use as solution in the cleaner? Dish soap or something else. Let me know what you think will work best.

Congrats on your score. Only use a low power jewelry type sonic cleaner. Please don't ask how I know.:blushing:

I use a little dish soap and warm water. Just understand that at least some of the paint will come off of the numbers when you use it. Be prepared to repaint them after cleaning.

It cleans. Watch for paint and plating removal.

Using the plastic insert gave me a gold blade case a waffle pattern on one side.

I have cleaned several in my ultrasonic cleaner using Dawn dish detergent. The ultrasonic cleaner I have heats the water also. I put them in for 1.5 minutes, pull then out and scrub them with a toothbrush and Dawn, rinse and then back in for another 1.5 minutes. Works like a charm!

I have been using an ultrasonic for some years now - both for razors and for brushes. The brush cleaning was endorsed by Phil at Bullgoose BTW.

I use these proportions, in your measurements:

$Recept på vätska till ultraljud.JPG

I use as hot water as comes out of my tap and run my 50w device for 3 minutes. I have tried this on my Red tip and there was no harm to the red paint.

This is the only way to clean a TTO on the inside without disassembly.

When I clean my brushes I make certain that the fluid doesn't reach the glue in the knot. I soak the brushes (6 at a time) for 10 minutes in the same liquid I run them in and then I thoroughly wash them with some dish soap to get out the vinegar smell.

Hope this helps!

I have been using an ultrasonic for some years now - both for razors and for brushes. The brush cleaning was endorsed by Phil at Bullgoose BTW.

I use these proportions, in your measurements:
I use as hot water as comes out of my tap and run my 50w device for 3 minutes. I have tried this on my Red tip and there was no harm to the red paint.

This is the only way to clean a TTO on the inside without disassembly.

When I clean my brushes I make certain that the fluid doesn't reach the glue in the knot. I soak the brushes (6 at a time) for 10 minutes in the same liquid I run them in and then I thoroughly wash them with some dish soap to get out the vinegar smell.

Hope this helps!

Great info! I'm looking to buy one, what model are you using? It would be nice to know that I'm spending my money on something that works well for this purpose and won't destroy my razors…

Great info! I'm looking to buy one, what model are you using? It would be nice to know that I'm spending my money on something that works well for this purpose and won't destroy my razors…
I'm using this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-JPL-U...ewelleryBoxes_Supplies_CA&hash=item486e14a21b .

I use it for both razors and brushes. Keep the tips only in fluid when cleaning brushes.

I use 1 dl of 12% household vinegar and 3 dl of hot tap water, add some ordinary salt (1 teaspoon) and some dishwasher liquid.

I run my razors for 6 min and my brushes for 3 min.

A little dish detergent is all you need. It acts as a wetting agent and make the cleaner more efficient. Presoak the razor in the warm solution for an hour or two.

I'm using this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-JPL-U...ewelleryBoxes_Supplies_CA&hash=item486e14a21b .

I use it for both razors and brushes. Keep the tips only in fluid when cleaning brushes.

I use 1 dl of 12% household vinegar and 3 dl of hot tap water, add some ordinary salt (1 teaspoon) and some dishwasher liquid.

I run my razors for 6 min and my brushes for 3 min.

Thanks! Seems like this is going to be less expensive than I feared, how nice for a change ;)

I would be careful using vinegar as I have experienced discoloration using it in the past, turns brass a pink color.

I would definitely not use for silver plating.

Quite right. I have no personal experience, this is what I've read on the boards. I only have nickel and rhodium plated razors, mostly TTOs.

Question, would submerging remove or loosen the Knott?

Never submerge the whole knot, only the tips. Go easy on the vinegar, I use 25% of volume and ordinary household 12% vinegar.

Top Bottom