What's new

Pricing Vintage Straight Razors

I don't get traditional straight razors often but occasionally, I'm offered them. I'd mostly buy to resell but I stay away because I don't know what they're worth. There are so many different brands on straight razors that you don't always find them on eBay or SRP. Without a reference, I don't know what to ask for if I tried to sell them. Even with the common brands, I still have to think about the edge, the bevel, the pins, the scales, etc. I don't know how to price adjust.

I have two razors, a JA Henckels and a Bismarck. A well-respected member gave me an idea of prices but I'd like to get some more opinions.. just to know if there's consistency.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'm pretty new to the straight razor scene, but I've been watching the SRP B/S/T quite a bit as well as eBay. That Henckels looks like it's a 7/8 or bigger. Nice scales. That's a good brand with a large blade. I would say at least $120, but more likely around $150 or better.

The Bismarck is also nice. Has three pins. Nice gold etching. Nice scales. Looks like it has some staining or pitting near the tang though. I would say at least $80 up to $120.

I could be way off, but figured I'd take a stab at it.

I'm pretty new to the straight razor scene, but I've been watching the SRP B/S/T quite a bit as well as eBay. That Henckels looks like it's a 7/8 or bigger. Nice scales. That's a good brand with a large blade. I would say at least $120, but more likely around $150 or better.

The Bismarck is also nice. Has three pins. Nice gold etching. Nice scales. Looks like it has some staining or pitting near the tang though. I would say at least $80 up to $120.

I could be way off, but figured I'd take a stab at it.

Your prices are considerably higher than what I was thinking.

I'm not sure if ebay is a fair barometer of prices but I do a search for a brand and check completed items.

I'll make you a deal: you send both razors to me, I'll shave with them for a few years and tell you what they're worth. :tongue_sm

Okay, enough Thomasfoolery for the moment. IMHO The Henckels looks to be in good shape and would probably go for three figures under the right market conditions. If Bill Ellis restored it (not that it appears to need much work at all) I imagine there would be a taker at $130-$160 or so.

As a reference, I bought a 7/8 NOS Henckels a while back at a reduced price of $75, the spike point was $100, and this one looks to have a superior finish. Frankly I'd have a go at this one, but the Le Grelot awaits...

The Bismarck, I have a great deal less knowledge of, but I'm thinking $50 or so, maybe more. There's a 7/8 Filly going in the range of $65 at the moment so that's probably as close as I'll get to a comparable value.

Good luck with them.

I'll make you a deal: you send both razors to me, I'll shave with them for a few years and tell you what they're worth. :tongue_sm

Okay, enough Thomasfoolery for the moment. IMHO The Henckels looks to be in good shape and would probably go for three figures under the right market conditions. If Bill Ellis restored it (not that it appears to need much work at all) I imagine there would be a taker at $130-$160 or so.

As a reference, I bought a 7/8 NOS Henckels a while back at a reduced price of $75, the spike point was $100, and this one looks to have a superior finish. Frankly I'd have a go at this one, but the Le Grelot awaits...

The Bismarck, I have a great deal less knowledge of, but I'm thinking $50 or so, maybe more. There's a 7/8 Filly going in the range of $65 at the moment so that's probably as close as I'll get to a comparable value.

Good luck with them.

I doubt that the Filly will stay below 3 figures at the end, my bet is closer to $200. I still can't see the razors, but based on what others are saying, if it's a vintage Bismark (not a DOVO Bismark) in really good condition...$75-$100. Mint...what ever the market will bear but I would guess around $150

From the pictures, my guess would be $120 - $160 for the Henkles and $100 - $130 for the Bismark. Prices are crazy now, so might get more.

From the pictures, my guess would be $120 - $160 for the Henkles and $100 - $130 for the Bismark. Prices are crazy now, so might get more.

Quoted for truth...

The Filly went in the $130's, if you cleaned the rust off the Bismarck I could it going for similar price.

I've been shafted. The seller and his grandson offered the Henckels and Bismarck to me then listed them for sale on Yahoo Japan Auctions. :mad:

EDIT: Well, I got the Bismarck but not the Henckels.

Top Bottom