What's new

What is your favorite "Other Items" Store?

By other items I mean those foreign or unique items you typical grocer wont carry.

When I lived in Cincinnati there was a place called Jungle Jims. This place rocks! Has all the great stuff I miss form Italy and Germany. They even carry movies from around the world too. Well now in this place called North Carolina I heard of a Trader Joes. Man that place is a big disappointment for me. Nothing all the great--just seems like more organic stuff than anything else. Some foreign items, yet again nothing striking.

So what do you know off that is such a treasure?

A Southern Season in Chapel Hill. In addition to imported looseleaf tea and a wide selection of coffee, they carry foreign imports in beer, cheese, wine, port, coffee gear, Japanese and Chinese teapots, sauces, packaged foods and chocolates from around the world, and jamon iberico, chorizo, and jamon serrano. http://www.southernseason.com/

Where in NC are you? If you're in the triangle area, then the Fresh Market in Cameron Villages is probably a little like the store you're talking about.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My favorite stores in NYC:

Sherry-Lehmann (wine)
B&H photo video (toys)
Zabar's/Balducci's/Dean and DeLuca's (the trinity)
Korin Trading (knives)
Kalustyan (spices)
Adorama (shlockey B&H)
Lyric HiFi (heaven)

By other items I mean those foreign or unique items you typical grocer wont carry.

When I lived in Cincinnati there was a place called Jungle Jims. This place rocks! Has all the great stuff I miss form Italy and Germany. They even carry movies from around the world too. Well now in this place called North Carolina I heard of a Trader Joes. Man that place is a big disappointment for me. Nothing all the great--just seems like more organic stuff than anything else. Some foreign items, yet again nothing striking.

Jungle Jims rocks! I lived in Cincinnati for a year, and man do I miss that place. I haven't found a place like that in Memphis yet, it's not the most, ummmm, culturally gifted city that I've lived in.. :bored:

A Southern Season in Chapel Hill. In addition to imported looseleaf tea and a wide selection of coffee, they carry foreign imports in beer, cheese, wine, port, coffee gear, Japanese and Chinese teapots, sauces, packaged foods and chocolates from around the world, and jamon iberico, chorizo, and jamon serrano. http://www.southernseason.com/

Where in NC are you? If you're in the triangle area, then the Fresh Market in Cameron Villages is probably a little like the store you're talking about.

I live in Goldsboro. And I have been to Cameron village. The "Fresh Market" is great, so is the Little Pizza/Italia (sound right) restaurant. But I can't buy meat there because the 1.2 hours drive in the car will not get to good on the freshness no for the fish. I will try the other place out some day when I have the need to drive that far lol.

When I lived in Cincinnati there was a place called Jungle Jims.

Three years ago, a friend of mine visited her friend in Cincy and made a point to go to Jungle Jim's. She got me all kinds of fancy ramen. I looked up pictures of the place online and it looked like heaven.

There's a pretty cool place in Monroeville, PA, just east of Pittsburgh, called McGinnis Sisters. They have some stuff you can't find just anywhere (I think I saw ostrich in there???) But they also sell basics like Heinz ketchup, at a huge mark-up.

And I agree that Trader Joe's is nothing to write home about.

I'm only in the suburbs and no farther than a 10 minute drive will get me to Indian, Italian, Japanese/"asian", Sri-Lankan, Iranian and Lebanese grocery stores. We seem to be sorely lacking anything of a more Latin persuasion though.
Although a 40 minute drive will get me some great fresh made hot off the press tortilla and chips.

When I lived in Cincinnati there was a place called Jungle Jims. This place rocks! Has all the great stuff I miss form Italy and Germany. They even carry movies from around the world too.

Oh man! That place is GREAT! I really miss them (we used to live in Lexington, but moved to Florida)

- R

You will all be happy to know that Jungle Jim's is alive, well and rocking. With the recent additions, it is huge!

I've made a couple day trips to Cincy just for Jungle Jims. Very neat store! When I was looking for a job when I finished school a few years ago, I put Cincy on my list just so I could go grocery shopping there each week :)

I've made a couple day trips to Cincy just for Jungle Jims. Very neat store! When I was looking for a job when I finished school a few years ago, I put Cincy on my list just so I could go grocery shopping there each week :)

You know, I graduate in May, and I don't have a job lined up. Are the prices there any worse than neighboring grocery stores for the same things (like Heinz ketchup... basics)? I just might have to apply around there. Maybe Jungle Jim's needs an industrial engineer for something!

D

doleeo

I just went on a field trip to Jungle Jims a few days ago. It was amazing.

They had every possible thing you could imagine. Their meat was amazing. I got a few Ribeyes and some pickles.

I think I might have seen a bottle of 4711 while I was there.

I believe I've seen it mentioned that they sell Speick..

Timb, from what I can remember, their prices on "normal" stuff were pretty decent. Been a couple years since I was there -- they were just building the latest addition with the monorail. Their weekly ad looks to be competitive with what I pay in Indy.

In college I was good friends with the "Jungle Jim"'s daughter, that store really is amazing.

My favorite stores in NYC:

Sherry-Lehmann (wine)
B&H photo video (toys)
Zabar's/Balducci's/Dean and DeLuca's (the trinity)
Korin Trading (knives)
Kalustyan (spices)
Adorama (shlockey B&H)
Lyric HiFi (heaven)

Cream of the crop list. :thumbup:

SL has a great Sake and Spanish wine selection - two of my favorites. Kalustyan has every spice and condiment I need to make my foreign dishes. I've never been to Zabar's but Balducci's has great food and Dean and DeLuca's catering service is fantastic.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Cream of the crop list. :thumbup:

SL has a great Sake and Spanish wine selection - two of my favorites. Kalustyan has every spice and condiment I need to make my foreign dishes. I've never been to Zabar's but Balducci's has great food and Dean and DeLuca's catering service is fantastic.

Zabar's is a cheaper version of Balducci's and D&D's, and they have a very impressive kitchenware section, to boot.

Other NYC legends-

Barney Greengrass (appetizing)
Russ & Daughters (")
Yonah Schimmel Knishes
Dozens of restaurant supply houses in Chinatown
Williamsburg (five major tortillerias)

The list is endless.

Top Bottom