What's new

Speaking of Red Wing IR's

I have those exact boots. I think Im going to throw some leather honey on them this weekend. Getting colder and almost boot season.

I'll be extra pedantic here and remind everyone that you shouldn't try to polish your Iron Rangers as the oil tanned leather will be exceptionally difficult if not impossible to put a shine on. Just boot oil/mink oil and a good brushing.

But yeah, I do kinda like the lug sole that BB has on their Red Wings. Sort of takes away the ability to "dress up" the Iron Rangers though, as the stock boot can be worn as kind of a "semi-dress" shoe, to steal the term from White's.

I'll be extra pedantic here and remind everyone that you shouldn't try to polish your Iron Rangers as the oil tanned leather will be exceptionally difficult if not impossible to put a shine on.

Hmm, they don't look like oiled leather to me. I do have bad eyesight. LOL Am I off on this? For instance are the 8114's oiled? They look like they can be spit shined and they also state they're "harness leather" which should take a shine.

Hmm, they don't look like oiled leather to me. I do have bad eyesight. LOL Am I off on this? For instance are the 8114's oiled? They look like they can be spit shined and they also state they're "harness leather" which should take a shine.

I think it is oil tanned leather according to their website. Still look awesome though. The brooks brothers picture is actually a little misleading i dont think I could get my boots that shiny. Although can get a little bit of a shine on them.

http://www.redwingheritage.com/USD/...6HDnhvrL-n6XCCNpBtxaTxSqMR9tj#productDetails2

Last edited:
I think it is oil tanned leather according to their website. Still look awesome though.
http://www.redwingheritage.com/USD/...6HDnhvrL-n6XCCNpBtxaTxSqMR9tj#productDetails2

The Brooks Brothers IR's look like a custom job and not the same type leather. The 8114's are described as a harness leather finish and should also take a shine. I'll shoot them an email and see. That would be a big disappointment if the 8114's couldn't take a shine. I was planning on picking a pair up for that very purpose over the oiled charcoal black 8116's.

^^^^I believe The 8114 are the "Copper" rough and tough leather, listed as an oil-tanned leather on their site:
http://www.redwingheritage.com/USD/...oots/iron-ranger-copper-08115#productDetails2

I believe all models of RW's Iron Rangers use oil-tanned leather, with the exception of the Muleskinners which is a rough-out leather. A good application of oil should be fine. Leather Honey is, I believe, an oil mix and as such will give you some luster. But that's different than a wax polish you might see on dress shoes or military boots. Trying to get a good polish or traditional satin-shine a-la dress shoes will be very difficult because the leather has already been impregnated with oils. That makes building up that wax polish and filling in the pores quite difficult. I've seen people do it, and it looks...ok, and each story comes with the "it took me forever and was quite difficult".

Personally, the IRs are built on a work boot last and look better with the plain-old oiled finish rather than a high-gloss shine. I think, unless you're on a military parade field, the high gloss is best kept to dress shoes. If you want a shinier boot, maybe something in chromexel leather (e.g. Wolverine 1000 miles) or Red Wing's Beckman in Featherstone (similar to chromexcel) would be what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Im pretty sure they are the exact same boot as the copper colored Iron Rangers but they have a lug sole instead and then given the "Brooks Brothers Exclusive" tag raising the price of $100.00 more.

It is possible the leather is different though. If you touch the leather it creates marks which lead me to believe it is "pull up" leather. Not sure how the tanning process works for pull up. I do think these boots can take a shine. Ive only just used the Leather honey product on mine.

It is possible the leather is different though.

I believe they are. Look at the toe in the shot below. They call it cactus leather, whatever that means? LOL

$MH00388_BROWN_3.jpg

It seems that "cactus" leather might be different than the copper rough & tough, so you might be in luck. Still, for the extra $100 you are approaching Alden and White's territory.

VVVV I forgot to mention that under the right lighting conditions, a freshly oiled pair of any IRs will have a luster like that.

Last edited:
You'll have to call them. I think Brooks Brothers just takes really good pictures. And the Cactus leather might just be the brooks brothers "exclusive" name for the Copper leather.

^^^^I believe The 8114 are the "Copper" rough and tough leather, listed as an oil-tanned leather on their site

I think you're confusing the 8116's with the 8114's? The 8116's are the "rough and tough leather" and the 8114's are "harness leather" which looks like it takes a shine with a normal black shoe polish.

Personally, the IRs are built on a work boot last and look better with the plain-old oiled finish rather than a high-gloss shine. I think, unless you're on a military parade field, the high gloss is best kept to dress shoes.

I kinda dig the look of a shined boot when riding motorcycles, and with semi-casual dress attire me-self. What's fascinating about humanity is we all have are own quirks, likes, and loves. Makes it interesting, makes the world go round.

I think you're confusing the 8116's with the 8114's? The 8116's are the "rough and tough leather" and the 8114's are "harness leather" which looks like it takes a shine with a normal black shoe polish.

Sorry, got the numbered model mixed up with the Brooks Brothers one. Sometimes I hate Red Wing's model numbering system, ha. Either way, the 8114 is oil-tanned.

I'll be extra pedantic here and remind everyone that you shouldn't try to polish your Iron Rangers as the oil tanned leather will be exceptionally difficult if not impossible to put a shine on. Just boot oil/mink oil and a good brushing.

But yeah, I do kinda like the lug sole that BB has on their Red Wings. Sort of takes away the ability to "dress up" the Iron Rangers though, as the stock boot can be worn as kind of a "semi-dress" shoe, to steal the term from White's.

IMO I polish mine frequently, I obviously can't get a patent leather shine but the polish takes care of all the dings and scrapes that the shoes get. They still look pretty darn good after nearly 3 years of constant use. I polish them up every month or so.

I have these and LOVE them. I picked up a pair of Alden Indies at the beginning of the year and ended up selling them b/c I reached for these more often. I think it's a pull up leather and it has a noticeable "marbling" (think steak) that would keep me from ever trying to polish them.

And I was just thinking that I cannot wait to continue the break in of my IR's I bought in the middle of spring last year, hoping to get some wear and age into them, not looking to keep them all new and shiny, not completely beat up mind you, but somewhere in the middle.

...but thats just me...

actually thinking about getting a pair of black ones too...the lug soles on these look nice, but for $100 more, not sure...

I have these and LOVE them. I picked up a pair of Alden Indies at the beginning of the year and ended up selling them b/c I reached for these more often. I think it's a pull up leather and it has a noticeable "marbling" (think steak) that would keep me from ever trying to polish them.

Thank you for the input!

Question: is the difference in the style numbers of IR's 8111-8116 just color? I want a pair in Black and want to make sure I order the right ones.

Maybe to avoid having two identical pair just differing in color (I have 8111's now-Amber Harness): does anyone own any of the other styles such as Beckman, Blacksmith, Brouge or Roughneck to comment on significant differences in fit or style of these?

Top Bottom