What's new

Again, you guys are a bad influence.

...I do appear to have just purchased a birth year (1964) Gillette Slim Adjustable... photos on arrival, naturally :laugh:

Any tips for a Slim newbie?

Congratulations Mark! Tips - every once in a while recheck your angle and try dialing it up a notch or two. As much as I initially liked the mild shaves of the lower numbers, as technique improved I grew to love my Slim more wide open.

My Slim and a Progress were "gateway" razors to my current appreciation of efficient razors...:tongue_sm

Thank you Gents... Ideally I could have gone for a J4 to get the part of the year right, but more than happy with the J2. Hopefully I should see this arrive within the next day or so - first order of business will be to get some photos up. I've got the big Five-Oh approaching at the end of October, so bit of an early birthday present to myself hehe.

Now... time for me to explore B&B for more Slim posts and reviews!

I'd like to throw in another quick question before I get my hands on the Slim... I'm thinking blades... I get on very well with Astra SP in my Merkur and incredibly well with Feather in my Tech. Do you ever choose a blade depending on what setting you're using, or do you find the one favoured blade good for any setting?

Im no Slim expert but find it easier to change settings with the doors slightly open. Some say it is suppose to be that way but I don't think the official instruction pamplet specifies.

I took a look at Captain Murphy's excellent video earlier showing the disassembly/reassembly of the Slim - I wanted to better understand the components parts and workings, etc, before it arrives. I'm expecting it in the post tomorrow morning... pretty excited! hehe :thumbup:

I took a look at Captain Murphy's excellent video earlier showing the disassembly/reassembly of the Slim - I wanted to better understand the components parts and workings, etc, before it arrives. I'm expecting it in the post tomorrow morning... pretty excited! hehe [emoji106]
Congrats on the slim[emoji106] if you have any issues with it, I'm a click away!

$Gillette Slim Adjustable 1964 (J2).jpg
...and just arrived in the post a few minutes ago! :thumbup:

Congrats!

That looks to be in a pretty good condition to me. Check whether the adjusting dial clicks well on all settings, and whether the TTO knob tightens the last quarter turn.

Here we go, here are some better shots not taken on my phone...

$L1030357.jpg

$L1030358.jpg

$L1030359.jpg

Just checked it all over and clicks well on each setting and I can see the gap adjusting on each too - the TTO knob is slightly tight on the final twist, but I was already aware of this. I've added the Slim to my small Notes file on my phone so I can record blades/settings observations. I'll load up with an Astra SP for the first shave - not decided on starting setting yet, I'm figuring on a 3 or a 4 initially and see how that goes.

Attachments

• $IMG_3190.jpg
    $IMG_3190.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 35
Just had my first shave with the Slim - loaded up with an Astra SP and dialled it to 3 - an absolute perfect shave and wonderful handling - this is THE ONE (and I shalt call him Neo lol).

Top Bottom