What's new

Disappointed in Astra blade

Hey...

Before I found this forum in July, I relied on Amazon reviews for my purchases.
My first razor was the mild Meckur long handle. With that I got 100 Personna Blues.
Not knowing that this could have been a big mistake in buying so many , it worked out fine.
With a couple more razor purchases , included were different brand blades.
I got some Sharks and Astras.
With many good reviews on the Astras , I couldn't wait to try it.( I almost went and bought the 100 pack when Amazon had them for $8, but didn't)
Anyway , I loaded it into my just purchased Gillette New LC and enjoyed the shaves until...DAY 5
OMG , it just tugged and pulled its way across my face. I thought I didn't have enough lather but that didn't help either. I went to work with the most disappointed shave since I started.
Using the Personna's , the most days I went was 6 and I think it could have gone longer.

Has anyone experienced this when trying out blades?

Mike

So, let's just assume that for you the Astras last 4 days and the Personna Blues 5. Given the price differences on Amazon (typically about $9 or $10 vs. $12 or $13 for Personnas, though I got my Astras for $8.30 on sale a few days ago) doesn't it work out to the same cost per shave? Maybe better to just buy the ones you like best for the first 3 shaves (which might be the Personna for you).

Only getting 4 shaves out of a 10 cent blade should not count as a major disappointment. Most would call that a win.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It depends which razor you used it in. If you try a different razor, it can be different.

Every blade I've used thus far has only lasted 3 shaves or less for me. I have a very rough and coarse beard that's pretty dense too so a blade that gives me a half decent 3rd shave gets my thumbs up.

thxs guys for your answers...

I was just amazed that I experienced the discrepancies of a different blade.

I'm glad that the Personna last for 5 days so that I can have an exact day to toss out and not think what day shave it is..:a14:

I dont ever want that feeling again...LOL

mike

Only getting 4 shaves out of a 10 cent blade should not count as a major disappointment. Most would call that a win.

I would agree. That's about $8.00 a year or so. Honestly I don't keep track. I need to write the date on the blade to see how old it is but it seems about 4 days before I replace them.

thxs guys for your answers...

I was just amazed that I experienced the discrepancies of a different blade.

I'm glad that the Personna last for 5 days so that I can have an exact day to toss out and not think what day shave it is..:a14:

I dont ever want that feeling again...LOL

mike

Blades are a personal as athletic shoes. Some folks can do well with any shoe. Some people need Nike and some New Balance.

I can use Astra SP but I prefer others. The problem wasn't longevity. They are just "passable" from the first shave to the last. Since I have moved on to other blades, I don't exactly remember how long they'd last but it was probably 3-5 shaves.

I don't think there is a blade that lasts more than 4 days for me. i usually change them after 3 days, before they tear my face up. the Astra has always worked well for me. It always seems sharp and smooth for me

Sounds like for you, astras just don't last as long as others. I like the math above.
Blades are very much YMMV.

Astras last two or three days for me
IPs easily last six or seven days for me

So the IPs are both a better buy and a better shave for me.

Most important part of this post: "for me"! (aka YMMV)

this is why a newbie should always buy a "sampler pack" of blades before they give up...

now that I think of it...experienced should also if there into swapping out ( rotation )

Blades are such an individualized thing.. plus the complex interplay between type of blade, razor, prep, soap/cream, water, etc. can lead to a very different shaving picture every time.

I really like Astra SPs, but I totally understand how they may not be ideal for others. That's the beauty of this hobby - something perfect is out there for everyone!

I do two and toss with my blades, regardless of the brand or how long their initial tests go. Astra though my face simply does not like. I get better shaves from the lil dollar store slide packs. I think the best way to judge a blade is by comfort and irritation levels, and one should simply ignore longevity.

Top Bottom