What's new

Cella Dethroned

I like the almond, not too strong, but a little stronger than Cella. I also like the Sandalwood smelling one. Depends on my mood. That's the best thing, about making it for yourself. I only have to ease myself.

Has anyone else tried infusing Arko, with essential Almond oil yet?

I love almond so I applaud your choice. I have tried Arko and while it is a very. good. soap. I don't find it as good as Cella. Certainly in the same class (ignoring scent). This is why they make Ford's and Chevys .... so y'all will drive those and I drive my Ram. :thumbup:

"It smells like Cella, only thicker, stronger smell, and definitively slicker".

If it smells more of the Cella almond smell, lathers up thicker, and is a slicker soap, than Cella, then why wouldn't it be better? Is it because it isn't made in Italy? Is it because you haven't tried it yet, and you are certain that all this couldn't be true? Arko is only a couple of dollars, Almond oil is between 5-10 dollars.
See for yourself.
I doubt you found a razor that shaves very well, then stopped buying razors, same for blades. Most people here want to improve shaves, soaps, and the general shave experience.

You missed my point. Any soap can be made better by tinkering with it. Just as any razor can be made better. The true test of a soap is how well it performs right out da box. Thus Cella has not been dethroned. Cella is still the finest Italian croap distributed in a small red container. Oh wait, its the only one.

Making Arko perform like Cella is like making a Toyota Corolla perform like a Ford Mustang. With enough time and effort it can be done. Making a Mustang perform like a Ferrari....requires a lot more talent. I challenge thee good Sir....make Cella perform like MdC!! Now THAT is a task worthy of Kings. :lol:

I doubt you found a razor that shaves very well, then stopped buying razors, same for blades. Most people here want to improve shaves, soaps, and the general shave experience.

I did. I've tried a few, and have settled on a Gillette NEW. I'm done buying razors, except for maybe getting a spare NEW. I've also tried various blades, but I stick with Red IPs. I think I'm done experimenting there, too. Why would that be hard to believe?

I'm glad you're happy with the results of your experiment. I'd try it, but 1.) Arko doesn't agree with my skin, 2.) I don't have the time or patience to tinker like that. I'd much rather use a soap I like that works well for me without any tinkering, and I have plenty of those!

Experiment time.
In about 5 minutes, I will lather one side of my face with the Arko/almond oil, and the other side Celllaaaaa. Sorry, almost fell asleep.
I will try to do a blind test. I will remove my glasses.
Then spin myself around ten times, fast, and shave in the dark. That should help with the experiment.
I will then definitively know if Cella has been dethroned.

Experiment over. Here are the results. Fat Boy with Feather blade used.

1. Loading the brush: Arko/Almond- 15 seconds to get a good visible load. +1
Cella- around 35-40 seconds. To get an good load.
2. Bowl lathering: Arko/Almond- 1 minute. Huge amount of lather. +1
Cella- 1 min. 1/3 the lather of Arko
3.Application on face: Arko/Almond- like whipped cream. +1
Cella- not as thick.
4.Shave: Arko/Almond- Great shave. +1
Cella- Great shave. +1
5.Smell: Arko/Almond- Lemon and Almond smell
Cella- Almond smell
6.Slickiness: Arko/Almond- Slick
Cella- -Slick
7.A light lather applied and sat for 5 minutes. To see if either dried out.
Arko/Almond- Bubbles popping, some reduction in fluffyness. Still very slick
Cella- Almost no change- Still very slick
8. Aqua Velva aftershave. And, 30 minutes later.
Arko/Almond- Very smooth and hydrated.
Cella- Very smooth. Not as hydrated feeling. Feels more sensitive to the touch, when rubbed.

Conclusion: The Almond smell is more pronounced in Cella. More oil is needed in the Arko(for my liking). Bigger lather with Arko. Easier loading with the Arko. Both shave well. Both are slick. The Cella lather will last longer, if you need to leave it on for over 5 minutes. The most important thing found out, and I didn't even think about testing it, until I was in the middle of this post, is the after the shave experience. I have sensitive skin, so hydration is an important factor in choosing soap/cream.
Arko/Almond left my face less sensitive, and more hydrated, now 40 minutes after the shave. Cella still feels good, but not as good.

1. Loading the brush: Arko/Almond- 15 seconds to get a good visible load. +1
Cella- around 35-40 seconds. To get an good load.
2. Bowl lathering: Arko/Almond- 1 minute. Huge amount of lather. +1
Cella- 1 min. 1/3 the lather of Arko
Is it possible you have harder water? Arko has Tetra-sodium EDTA where Cella does not. That could be the difference here.

Not real hard. City of Houston water supply. I don't know the concentration of minerals in the water. I don't have a problem with deposites forming, like other towns I have lived in, or visited.

Well the EDTA is the obvious differences in those soaps. That is responsible for chelating minerals/metals and helping to make lather.

Still using it, and I am improving the loading method, with this stuff. I get enough for about three shaves.

I now use a homemade pre shave oil, gleaned from past posts, from members. 3/4 olive oil, 1/4 castor oil, and essential oils. Simple, but works well. About a dollar fifty to make, vs. $20 for AOS Pre Shave oil.

Update. The Arko/Almond oil mix is fading in scent. The lemon scent of the Arko is now overpowering the scent of the oil. I like the lemon scent, but would prefer more of the Almond smell. Next time I will grate the Arko, and let it breath for a week or two, before mixing the oils.
The blend still shaves just as well as before, and is one of my favorites. I switch between the Almond and the Sandalwood scents.

Just add a drop of the oil in the bowl before lathering the Arko. That way you can tailor the scent each time.

Still loving the Arko/Essential oil. I am using it about 95% of the time, but do like using Cella too, along with other soaps and creams.

Top Bottom