What's new

Time to admit it (not that) I suck at smoking a pipe

After years of cigar smoking, I switched over to a pipe exclusively about 4 years ago. I am finally realizing that i am just not very good it. In the first few years, it was crappy packing. Now, it is smoking the pipe too hot. I know it is supposed to be slow cadence, like sipping through a straw, etc. But, when I load a Virginia blend (for example), I don't get citrus and subtlety, I get hot and ashy. Maybe it is me rushing things, but I cannot smoke a virginia to save my life. Some blends that start as "sweet", quickly turn sour! I am sure I am still going to fast, too tight of a pack, etc. Who knows, maybe I need to rotate which pipes take which blends to see if I can get better pairings. I really wish I could get the stars to align more often though! :blushing:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I get that 'change of taste' sometimes when I am past the half way point of the bowl. Dumping out some of the loose ash before relighting and aerating the left over tobacco with the pick on my pipe tool, has helped bring back the taste on more than one occasion.

"Time to admit it (not that) I suck at smoking a pipe "

Try to stop sucking and slow down. Try another blend (I don't like Virginia tobacco for the same reasons you are having trouble.) Try some English blends or even an aromatic. Dry out the baccy a little so you don't get hot steam, etc.

"Time to admit it (not that) I suck at smoking a pipe "

Try to stop sucking and slow down. Try another blend (I don't like Virginia tobacco for the same reasons you are having trouble.) Try some English blends or even an aromatic. Dry out the baccy a little so you don't get hot steam, etc.

It feels like I am slowing down as much as I can, but obviously not enough. I do think you may be onto something though. I previously have only dried tobacco out when it seemed too wet to smoke, but I often could get away with skipping that step. However, I didn't give the "hot steam" issue much though-- I will definitely try sitting out out for a few minutes before my next bowl and see if there is any difference.

Va's are an odd tobacco. Some people can pop open a tin, cram some into a cob, have the greatest smoke of their life on the first try. Then there are those that have to work, I mean really work at Va's to get them to shine. I am in the second group, the people in the first group are called liars.:001_smile

Some of my pipes are just hot smokers, so that could be an issue with specific pipes.

I don't pack nearly as much as I used to and have had great cool smoking pipes that burn down very evenly with little dottle recently. Granted I don't get those long 1+ hr smokes, but it's much easier on my tongue and more enjoyable flavorwise. I really try to not drag too hard either. I used to drag until my whole mouth was filled with smoke, but now it's with about as much force as an old man cleaning food out of his dentures :001_smile.

And if all else fails, I'm sure you could find a video on youtube about it :001_rolle

$article-2253623-16A9EE7F000005DC-457_964x641.jpg

Va's are an odd tobacco. Some people can pop open a tin, cram some into a cob, have the greatest smoke of their life on the first try. Then there are those that have to work, I mean really work at Va's to get them to shine. I am in the second group, the people in the first group are called liars.:001_smile

This, my friends, is a true story! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom