What's new

Suggestion on bladed

Blades for a newbie, please?

I got a 100 pack of Super Max Titanium. Sorry, I was clueless.

They work fine, but I am reading about so many (still, I can tell Feather blades are to handle with care and that Astras are favs among the gents) that I'd apreciate your suggestions on a optimal choice, this meaning blades providing for the best shaves + blades safe for newbies.

If this has been posted before, my apologies; please don't hesitate to lead me to the previous thread.

I recieved a PIF, which i was grateful for, and in that PIF came a super max, which irritated me so bad that i had to toss it out. That being said get yourself a blade sampler and see which blade suits you best. For me so far the blade that my face has enjoyed has been Gillette Silver Blue, Personna Red, Polsilver, Personna Labs, and last but not least Crystals. But like with all blades "YMMV", as I still have many more to try out:001_smile.

Astra SPs work best for me so far. The razor you use can make a difference to. Like the bearded one says, a sample pack is the way to try out a good variety.

I'm another one who has found Astra SP to work very well. I can even get 10+ shaves off one.

That being said, one of the great joys and PITA of wet shaving for me is trying to figure out what works. It's like a lot of moving parts and changing one part can greatly throw off your shave.

Last edited:
What you have is just fine. If you're new to DE shaving, work through that whole package first, before your start looking around at blades. You need to learn generic DE shaving technique first, then look into blades. I think you'll find that after you've developed experience, you'll be able to get great shaves from virtually any blade. Then, you can dive into the samplers, and shop around based on price and that extra bit of performance.

BTW, nothing at all wrong with those blades - they're quite good. I like the Super Max Sunrise a bit better, but they're similar. I've gotten 40 great shaves out of one of those.

Last edited:
You guys that get 30-40 shaves per blade...wow.
Best is a PolSilver for 7.

I made it to 10 on a Personna 74. Usually I get 3 to 4 per regular blade. Some I toss at two. These high count dudes must have a beard like down from a feather.

These high count dudes must have a beard like down from a feather. [/COLOR]

Not here. I've got a pretty stiff beard, and fast growth. I think it's mostly in the prep, and the (very sweaty) workout I do before I shave. Technique plays a part as well.

Blades for a newbie, please?

I got a 100 pack of Super Max Titanium. Sorry, I was clueless.

They work fine, but I am reading about so many (still, I can tell Feather blades are to handle with care and that Astras are favs among the gents) that I'd apreciate your suggestions on a optimal choice, this meaning blades providing for the best shaves + blades safe for newbies.

If this has been posted before, my apologies; please don't hesitate to lead me to the previous thread.

Best thing to do is on Amazon order a sample pack with as many different blades as you want to try. I did a 35 pack sample. And as you use the different blades mark the box or pack (Good, bad, or Ugly) a 35 pack of blades will take about 30 weeks to use up (9 months) I work with a guy that bought 100 Derby blades and as he got better with his shaving the blades aren't doing it for him and he has 90 more to go.

Keep your blade count down till you find which ones work for you.

I have tried a lot of new and vintage blades over the years. You made a great choice. Super Max Titanium blades are really excellent blades and very reasonably priced. They shave as well as any blade I have tried and last longer than most. I get a weeks worth of great shaves from them where most blades are done after 3-4. Gillette Platinum Blacks, and Personna Lab Blues are good but don't last as long for me. Astras give me a good shave but not great shave. Feather give me 2 great shaves. IMHO save your resources for a brush, soap, or cream.

Sample pack is your best bet since blade choice seems to be very personal. Blades I like; Feather, Astra, Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge Yellow, Super-Max Super Platinum (not the same as Super-Max Stainless), Lord Super Stainless, Derby (seem to have fallen out of favor though), Dorco (very mild).

Others I have not used but might try; Persona Med prep, Polsilver, Gillette Silver Blue

Last edited:
Top Bottom