What's new

Replacing Edwin Jagger DE89L - Advice Needed

I went to replace the blade on my EJ DE89L this morning and the top part of it broke off so now I'm in the market for a new razor. I've been using a DE razor for a little over two years now. I do have sensitive skin and am prone to some razor burn/in grown hairs. I would like to spend under $75 on the new razor. I'm not opposed to getting the same thing, but it's the only one I have ever had and I don't know if something else might be better for me and my skin. Any advice and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I also have a thick beard and shave every few days if that is relevant.

Last edited:
Without question, get a Pre-War Gillette Fat Handle Tech (w/ Triangle Slots)

I have a muhle r89 that I like a lot. It should be perfect for you.

The EJ DE89 and the Muhle R89 have the same razor heads since EJ/Muhle collaborated on the design. Depending on where the OP is located, one will be cheaper. Here in the US, the Muhle is about twice the cost of the EJ.

If you have thick beard and sensitive skin I will recommend you better preparation. I don't think that the over aggressive razors are for you if you have sensitive skin. Work on your technique - fast and short strokes and one long - no pressure at all. My advice is to buy razor which is comfortable in your hands... No matter aggressive or mild - it must be comfortable, well balanced and something havier I think or with longer handle. Try different used razors - this is the charm of wet shaving - if you are not satisfied you can sell them here or where you want always will find someone to buy them - my advice is go for used OC and see the difference with EJ. I think you will end up with adjustable :)

I'm not sure which option would be more cost effective, but I was also reaching out to see if there is a better razor for me

This place offers the top cap( the Muhle top cap is the same as the EJ ). there might be others as well.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/muhle-replacement-top-plate-r89.html

If you want something else, I would throw out an adjustable razor as a possible solution. You could get a Merkur Progress for around $70 (maybe less if you happen to find one on the BST ). If you want something vintage, and adjustable, you could find a really nice one that would fit your budget. Just some suggestions :thumbup:

I have a Travel Tech (with the mini handle) and I've used the head with a longer handle someone kindly PIF'ed me and gotten a good, mild shave. Travel Techs are quite cheap and their heads are probably sturdier than any of the non-stainless modern heads. One complete travel Tech that's in near new condition is cheaper than the EJ or Muhle heads from any source.

Seems like the Standard razor would be perfect for you. Mild and made of better materials so it should last much longer.

Top Bottom