What's new

Impossible mission: identifying Le Soldat inconnu

So I bought this straight razor years ago, I do not even remember where (probably off eBay or a French site). The blade was not damaged but had loads of oxidation. I cleaned it with Pierre d’argent which is a natural cleaning product made of white clay, perfect for metals. There are still bits of oxidation, but I could not do any better. Then I sent it to a German dude who changed the handle with a custom one in rosewood, then it went to Portugal for honing.

I never asked the seller about the origin of the straight razor, there is no engraving on the blade and no original box with it. So I named it Le Soldat inconnu, in reference to that.

It looks like a 5/8 wedge or near wedge to me:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

What do you think?

I am aware it is nearly impossible to identify its origin, therefore this unknown soldier nickname :001_smile

This looks a lot like a Dumas.
I have a couple Dumas wedge that looks like that, except for a round-point, but I have also seen some with frenchpoint, looking exactly like yours.

To be honest I never shaved with this blade. Years ago I bought some equipment to get into straight razor shaving. I was terrible at learning but got quickly discouraged and gave up. So I stick to the DE thingy, a lot easier for me. I registered here with the motivation of succeeding, and taking my time to learn.

Yesterday I was looking for my gear and found this blade in drawer. I took the opportunity to photograph it. Le Soldat inconnu will be my main razor for my next attempt :blushing: I will post some feedback next week end!

To be honest I never shaved with this blade. Years ago I bought some equipment to get into straight razor shaving. I was terrible at learning but got quickly discouraged and gave up. So I stick to the DE thingy, a lot easier for me. I registered here with the motivation of succeeding, and taking my time to learn.

Yesterday I was looking for my gear and found this blade in drawer. I took the opportunity to photograph it. Le Soldat inconnu will be my main razor for my next attempt :blushing: I will post some feedback next week end!

If it's been years sitting in idleness, there's the likelihood that the edge has deteriorated. Oxidation over time will occur just through the moisture in the air. You still may be able to shave with it, but strop it well and true first.

As for the razor, that's a great grind and similar to one of my favorite razors which is a Sheffield. Good luck.

If it's been years sitting in idleness, there's the likelihood that the edge has deteriorated. Oxidation over time will occur just through the moisture in the air. You still may be able to shave with it, but strop it well and true first.

As for the razor, that's a great grind and similar to one of my favorite razors which is a Sheffield. Good luck.

Traces of oxidation are the same, luckily it did not get worse. I could not clean it any better.

Is stropping it enough or should I get it honed again?

There is a skilled honemeister in the South of France I am going to ask him to handle it [emoji86]

Oh by the way I remember now: someone told me once this blade looked like one made in Sheffield.

The blade also looks similar to this Fritisse, but not the scales.
$fritisse.jpg

More like this one
$Herou.jpg
Unfortunately this one was branded by a cutler who is unlikely to be the maker.

One guess for the origination could be Thiers Issard. They had over 9000 whitelabels, and their Torpedo wedge looks a lot like this.
Here is mine. This one has a round point, but I have another one waiting in the shop that is with a french point like yours and happens to be rebranded (ie not sold as Thiers Issard).
$Honed.jpg

It was a French seller so Thiers-Issard looks like a credible possibility.

Thanks for your feedback!

Top Bottom