What's new

Set up for a female

Am thinking of getting razor, cream and blades for my niece this Christmas. What do you think would be a good razor, vintage or new. Looking for a good brushless cream and are there blades that seem to work best for women? As I am a widower, can't ask SWMBO, but hope some of you gentlemen might be able to, or some of the B&B ladies can give an insight. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
id suggest a 23c. definitely a nice shaver. will give a great shave without much worry of any nicks. the quality is pretty good, and price isnt to expensive. plus the long handle is what most women like. i think anyhow, lol.

and as for a cream, id say go down the womens razor isle at a store and just pick up one that you'd think she would like...

Check up the reviews for Parker 24C! It is about as mild as the often recommended EJ but still it will easily handle some bigger growth.

Am thinking of getting razor, cream and blades for my niece this Christmas. What do you think would be a good razor, vintage or new. Looking for a good brushless cream and are there blades that seem to work best for women? As I am a widower, can't ask SWMBO, but hope some of you gentlemen might be able to, or some of the B&B ladies can give an insight. Thanks.

1. Vintage Lady Gillette - Depending on how old you niece is, you might be able to locate her birth year. If you are lucky, you can try and obtain a RazoRock Aluminum (not stainless) Stealth Slant. This razor closely mirrors a cartridge angle which theoretically means she will pick it up quickly.
2. For cream, get some C.O. Bigelow. It was designed to be used with and without a brush and is significantly better than Cremo (IMO).

I got my wife a real nice Pink Lady Gillette a few years back with a pack of Derby blades. I made a small pine box and trimmed it out in red faux velvet, put a small 'History of the Lady Gillette' inside aswell. I did get some shave cream for her but as is her want she goes with out. She told me it gives real smooth and close shaves on her legs etc. But she doesnt use it every shave.

My wife loves the Lady Gillette, she really loves the cost of DE blades. As for cream, she won't touch a brush as it is much faster for her to just use her body wash. She has used Astra SP, GSB, and 7 O'clock blacks, she really doesn't notice much of a difference in blades. IMHO don't over think what you give her, she would probably like the look of the Lady Gillette over anything else out there and will just use any cream or body wash.

Not a Merkur 23C/180, corners are pointed, and uncomfortable under arms, and other areas, so says the wife. She likes the Gillette Black Beauty, and the Schick I-1 injector. She used the Gillette Black Beauty for a while, and really liked it, but settled on the Schick because it was angled like the cartridge razors, she grew up with.

Last edited:
and as for a cream, id say go down the womens razor isle at a store and just pick up one that you'd think she would like...
I disagree with this. Women's shaving products are basically the same as men's products, except they are priced higher and they come in a pink package. The aromas tend to be more floral, but the active ingredients are the same.

Don't limit your choices just to women's products when putting together the software side of her first kit. While she probably wouldn't want to be inundated with a Manly-Man scent like Tabac or Bay Rum, there are plenty of neutral products like MWF, Spieck, Proraso, Musgo Real, etc. that would work just fine for her.

By all means, a long-handled razor would work best. Either a vintage Lady Gillette or one of the more modern creations. And don't forget a blade sampler pack. Don't assume that your favorite blade is going to be her favorite, she'll have to go through the same rite of passage we all did, and make her own choices for a best blade.

My wife seems to like the Kiss My Face cream that comes in the pump bottle. My last one vanished and not because I used it. It wasn't my cup of tea.....

Razor - Lady Gillette, Gillette Super Adjustable (or maybe a Slim), or fat handled triangular slot Tech. Modern - the Merkur with the long handle

Soap/cream - Kiss My Face, maybe Cremo, or something more traditional (Spieck, DR Harris lavender, Castle Forbes, Proraso, . . . )

Brush - something big (? boar, or a 30 mm badger from Whipped Dog)

There was a time when Whipped Dog had pink handles. You might check with Larry and see if he still has any. I would also vote for a 30 mm Whipped Dog Silvertip brush.

How To Grow a Mustache has great women's starter kits if you decide to go for a soap, but you'll need a better brush. Got one for the Mrs. and she loves it!

Hi,

My wife uses a 40s SuperSpeed and my mother has used a Flare Tip SS since it was new. My wife is now using Mary Kay for Men shaving cream in a can and says it is the best canned goo she has ever used. My wife switched from a Mach 3 to the SuperSpeed, BTW.

Stan

No advice on the razor, but my girlfriend loves Kiss My Face cream. It it's extremely slick and cushiony. You could also check out the ladies scented soaps from HTGAM. Some of them are supposed to smell like popular Victorias Secret scents.

My GF didn't really care about the razor as long as it was pink :tongue_sm (we got the pink-handled extra-long EJ razor and she really enjoys her shaves now), but she fell in love the Rose-"flavored" Geo F T shaving cream--it makes the whole bathroom smell like roses.

Top Bottom