What's new

Tell me about this razor

I acquired this in a lot of razors off of the 'bay. I know absolutely nothing about straights, although I know that the natural progression to them is indeed, inevitable :biggrin1: One of the scales is broken as can be seen in the pictures. The blade, to my untrained eyes, appears to be free of any damage. Would it be worth my time to try to repair the broken scale(s), or is it more of a throw away/sit it on a shelf kind of razor?
$image.jpg
$image.jpg

Nice score. No way to repair those scales. You can take apart, clean the blade, and replace scales.
Sorry, guess I should have said replace instead of repair. I just don't know enough about this blade to decide if it's in good enough shape to replace the scales and find someone to hone it.

Shumates are nice little razors. I like them a lot. Have to see more focussed and detailed pix, but that razor looks salvageable. Only area that really worries me is the dark zone at the toe on the show side. But it's pretty small.

Shumates are nice little razors. I like them a lot. Have to see more focussed and detailed pix, but that razor looks salvageable. Only area that really worries me is the dark zone at the toe on the show side. But it's pretty small.
Do these help?
$image.jpg
$image.jpg

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 134
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 135
That cleaned up really well. Go for it!
Thank you very much! I've been reading the stickies on making scales and pinning. I think this will be a fun project! The only thing that I will not attempt is honing it. I can't put a decent edge on a pocket knife! Are there places that I can send it to have it honed?

It's true that if you have never shaved with a straight before, it's probably best to start out with a shave-ready edge to know what that is like. I can't help you 'cause I'm on the other side of the Atlantic for an extended period of time. For starters, I'd say look in the hobbyist section for someone providing the service. Otherwise, it looks like a good candidate to learn honing on, but that's another ball of wax after learning to shave with a straight.

It's true that if you have never shaved with a straight before, it's probably best to start out with a shave-ready edge to know what that is like. I can't help you 'cause I'm on the other side of the Atlantic for an extended period of time. For starters, I'd say look in the hobbyist section for someone providing the service. Otherwise, it looks like a good candidate to learn honing on, but that's another ball of wax after learning to shave with a straight.
Thank you Sir for answering all of my ignorant questions!

Hello,

That will clean up really well. If you just want scales that are not broken I have some from previous restorations. I can send you a pair to put that in. PM me. They may not be shumate though.

- Mike

I have one Shumate that I restored from a lot worse condition then that one and it is one of my best razors. The steel just takes a great edge.

This was actually my first restoration. Bone completely by hand no buffers all hand sanded with wet dry. I did end up wrecking the original scales though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom