What's new

Blade Choices for Gem Contour Push Button

SE Enthusiasts:

I just picked up one of these razors, and being new to the SE world, wonder what blade choices I have. Someone in another thread mentioned the Feather Seikan blades, but they seem a bit on the high side costwise. Can anyone with experience with this or a similar razor provide a range of choices?

As always, many thanks for your time.

Todd

Gem/Personna blades, not feather. You need a blade with a spine, I don't believe the feathers have one. Walgreen pharmacy carries the Gems, around here.

You should be able to find Gems or Store Branded blades made by ASR (same blades) at Walgreens or CVS. Possibly Rite Aid too and they might have Treets. You'll sometimes find Gem Blue Star around. If you like them, most people just buy bulk Personnas from Ted Pella.

I wouldn't buy bulk, yet, unless you plan on using it a lot. The SE blades tend to get more shaves per blade, compared to DE blades. Find a single pack, or order one off eBay or Amazon. I like the Gem/Personna stainless blades.

Thanks guys. I'll start with store-bought and go from there. Excited to try out the new gear and I'll report back after getting some initial shaves in!

Regards,

Todd R.

Only problem with the carbon steel, is that they are high maintenance. They must be dried and oiled after each use, to keep the rust off the edge.

Only problem with the carbon steel, is that they are high maintenance. They must be dried and oiled after each use, to keep the rust off the edge.
I don't think you have to go so far as oiling, just dip it in alcohol before drying. Unless for some reason you plan to let the blade sit in the razor for an extended period

+1 for this.

You should be able to find Gems or Store Branded blades made by ASR (same blades) at Walgreens or CVS. Possibly Rite Aid too and they might have Treets. You'll sometimes find Gem Blue Star around. If you like them, most people just buy bulk Personnas from Ted Pella.

I don't think you have to go so far as oiling, just dip it in alcohol before drying. Unless for some reason you plan to let the blade sit in the razor for an extended period

The reason I use the oil is because oxidation occurs rapidly, on carbon steel, on a microscopic level, especially after cleaning with alcohol. This will make the blade dull faster.
It also happens on stainless blades, just not as rapidly.
I do not oil my stainless blades, unless I am going to put it aside for a while. I also do not clean my stainless blades with alcohol, because it strips the oil from the blade, acquired during the shave, from the pre shave oil and soap. These oils protect the blades edge, in my opinion. I do rinse with hot water, shake dry and sometimes wipe down everything. It works for me, as I can get around 8 great shaves from a Feather blade. Before, only 4-6 shaves.

OK guys - Gem Pushbutton razor arrived. Setup included:

-CVS SE Blades (going with low risk/low cost per your suggestions)
-Cold River Soap Works "Select" Shaving Soap (a personal favorite)
-LA Shaving Company "Stumpy" (my name for it) synthetic brush
-Glycerin-based pre-shave soap

I did a fairly extensive pre-shave prep, along the lines of my typical DE prep. Face-lathering with the CRSW Select is a pleasure - thick, rich, never too bubbly. And a great citrus-y scent, evocative of Orange Creme.

Oh yes, my first SE shave ever - I was a multi-blade and electric guy until 2012, when I discovered DE shaving, and now I'm hooked.

The Pushbutton has an intuitive angle. Really, there is only one way to shave - with the handle facing out. I'm used to steeper angles, but I knew that wouldn't work here.

30 hours of beard to work through - pretty heavy.

First thoughts: this is a very comfortable razor/blade combo. Some feedback, but less than my more efficient DEs. First WTG pass was decent - pretty good except I couldn't get the right angle on the upper lip area, I simply couldn't make the angle work with the comparatively large head.

Second pass was XTG and ATG, based on established trial-and-error beard growth patterns with DE setups. Better this time around. Upper lip area, which was pretty much nonexistent with the WTG pass, was fabulous ATG. The predetermined angle makes it very easy to get it right, although I did do a bit of extra work here.

I did a final touch-up pass, covering some chin and neck areas that were still kind of rough.

Finished with the Razorock XXX aftershave - very quick flash of a burn but quickly transitioning to the cooling feeling of menthol. This is a power-packed AS so I expected some hurt, but experienced less than I imagined.

No weepers, no redness, and this was a real shock given the application of the new gear.

Just short of DFS, but I didn't even complete three full passes, so not bad at all. The shave reminds me of the DE Goodfella - mild, comfortable, just a downright reliable experience.

Bottom line - wonderful, for a first effort. For 20 bucks, I got a NOS SE razor I already enjoy. I'm thinking there might be a better blade out there for me - not that the CVS blade pulled, but it lacked some of the cutting power of other blades I've tried on the DE side. And I am aware my angle likely needs some work at this point.

To my brethren who have coached me through this purchase and first experience - your unfiltered expertise and support mean a lot. Many thanks to you all.
$IMG_0408.jpg

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The GEM contour and GEM pushbutton can use the Feather SE blade. I would recommend the stainless steel version, not the carbon version. They are pricey compared to the Ted Pella blades, but they are sweet in those razors. No need for a spine.

Last edited:
Good to know on the Feather blades. I put in an order for the stainless variety from Razor Blades & More.

I'm a big fan of Feathers on the DE side, so it should be exciting to have them in my PB.

Do you guys find the SE blades last longer than the DEs? Seems like the singles are more expensive, given their relative scarcity vs. the DEs.

Also, are there any helpful hints in terms of shaving under the nose?

Thanks so much.

Todd

Luc - terrific and highly pertinent thread, thanks for sending. Looks like one of the respondents mentioned lifting the head of the razor ever so slightly to get a closer shave, perhaps something I will attempt. I surmise the Pushbutton is probably somewhere in the milder realm of shavers, but a DFS+ seems achievable given my limited experience with SEs. Will let you know what happens!

I rinse the blade, dry it, and then dip it in rubbing alcohol and let it air dry. I don't have a problem with rust.

Top Bottom