What's new

My first brush restoration

I have 3 brushes to restore and I did this one first because it was my least favorite. It came in a box full of shaving stuff I won on ebay. It always smelled funny,it was shedding, and had a bald spot right in the middle of the knot. I wanted to practice before trying to restore my favorite. I made a few mistakes and got a little too happy with the epoxy but I think it will be a good usable brush.

Pics.

Attachments

• $er1.jpg
    $er1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 235
  • $DSCF1697.jpg
    $DSCF1697.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 236
  • $DSCF1698.jpg
    $DSCF1698.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 237
The knot is a 20mm black badger from Virginia Sheng. I got 3 of them for a great price. I've been giving the epoxy time to dry and I plan to take it for a test drive tomorrow morning.

Well done !
I had 2 Virginia Sheng black badgers but compares to my others (FS and TGN) were too soft
I'd like to read your impressions,enjoy your brush !

:thumbup1:

The knot does sort of go limp when it gets wet but after using it twice I'm starting to like it. It spreads out and makes a mess when I try to lather in my small bowl but it is great for face lathering. Next one I do I'm going to set the knot a bit deeper so it don't spread out so much.

You are right about the size of the knot
That's why i abandon all of my 20mm brushes that i had as a New shaver and now 24mm is the rule.

Any scritch or prickly feeling at the tips? Curious to know a little more about this Sheng knot. I've set one of her 20 mm boars and like it, especially for the price.

It is a little prickly but not enough to be irritating. Sheng has a few different knots so you may be better off going with a silvertip or something other than black badger.

Virginiasheng's black badgers are very soft with no good backbone
Can not compared with other Black badgers as TGN and FS,those are real soap diggers !
WD black badger is soft too,that's why i abandon it.

Top Bottom