What's new

Blade Won't Stay In Place.

I recently purchased a GEM 1912 from a seller on Etsy. I've always wanted to try a single edged razor, and I figured the 1912 was the best place to start out. However, the blade won't stay in place and becomes crooked once it starts to shave.

I barely know anything about single edged razors, so I'm not sure why the blades do this. Hopefully someone here can help me out with this problem and educate me a little more. :001_smile

Here's a photo to see what I'm talking about:

$20140927_160912.jpg

What blade are you using? Also pictures of the razor open without a blade would help distinguish a razor vs loading problem

What blade are you using? Also pictures of the razor open without a blade would help distinguish a razor vs loading problem

I received a couple GEM blades from the seller. They didn't specify what type GEM blade they are though. I also went out and bought a cheap pack of CVS brand single edge blades and had the same problem with them.

Here's some more pictures of the razor. Sorry if they're not what you were looking for. It's hard to get decent shots with my camera and lighting.

$20140927_194748.jpg$20140927_194810.jpg$20140927_194716.jpg

I suggest the problem is either with the blade stops (one on each side of the bottom) OR it is a weak spring that doesn't hold the blade securely with enough pressure OR some of both.

The stops look ok in the less than ideal pictures, so I'm inclined to think the spring is weak and ineffectual. The spring holds the cap securely against the blade and that secures the blade from moving.

If the spring is weak it may be fixed, and there have been threads posted over the years that address the procedure.

If your razor is in good mechanical condition this problem would not exist.

The blade should be held firmly against the blade stops by the spring, as in the picture below.

$1912a.JPG

Note that you can see a space between the front of the blade spring and the cutout in the cap. Yours looks different.

Here in a back view you can see clearly how the spring pushes against the spine of the blade, holding it firmly in place:

$1912b.JPG

Hopefully the spring is just gunked up with years of soap scum. Of course it could also be bent or broken.

--Bob

It looks like the blade spring isn't contacting correctly. If you have the correct blade in it, the spring could be broken. If not, it could be severely bent. Look at the pictures of the working razor that spidey9 has provided. You didn't despine the blade, did you? What blades are you using? Provide photos of the razor from behind, and underneath, to see if the other part of the tensioner spring is broken. I have a a couple that needed tightening, but the doors were loose, initially. My guess, without photos, would be a cracked/broken spring.

Last edited:

mswofford

Rest in Peace
With a blade in place your spring should be definitely be set back from the front of its hole. Either your spring is no good or something is keeping it from applying pressure against the spine of the blade. I suspect the former, unfortunately. Your blade stops look good.

The blade stops do not look fine, and the door looks crooked. Is it attached properly? See if things aren't bent where the door pivots. Also let us know what blade is being used.
In looking closer, to the pics. It looks like the razor has possibly been smashed at one time. The door looks offset. Look underneath, it looks bent. One of the blade stops looks like it is raised higher than the other, causing the blade to be crooked.
Take the door off, straighten it out.
Reset the blade stops.
Make sure everything is symmetrical.
Check the spring..

I had a bad spring on one razor I bought at a fleamarket. Wasn't usable unless I wedged something behind the spring. It went in a drawer, since it was nothing special.

Sorry yours is being a pain. Check for anything that might be blocking the spring. It may simply be "sprung" and then you are out of luck.

Here are pictures of the blades I've used. I only took pictures of the GEM blades that were included with the razor purchase. I do have some of the CVS brand, but they look identical (just not stainless).

$20140928_184913.jpg$20140928_184924.jpg$20140928_184937.jpg

Good blade. Have you looked at the other possible issues?

I'm going to guess that it's the spring and possibly the posts. I can get around this issue by pushing the blade back after loading. It straightens the blade out a bit and locks it more into place.

The seller I bought the razor from has a 30 day return policy, so I'll most likely send it back. It's such a shame, since the razor is such a cool piece to own.

The good news is these are everywhere on eBay for dirt cheap. You can easily get one for ~10 (or less, there are often GEM lots posted that come to like 4-5 per razor), just have a good look at the pictures

Don't give up on it yet. The blade stops definitely look non symmetrical. Easy fix. Take a small screwdriver to the one that is mashed down, and carefully pry up. Easy. If that fixes it, keep it.
As for the possibly bent door arms, take a par of dull pliers, Wray some electrical tape around it, to protect the razor metal, , and add some pressure to the bent area, after you take the door off the razor.
The good thing here, is that these razors are forgiving. Try the blade stop first, if that fixes it, and you don't care about anything else, keep it.
I have operated on several 1912's. Cheap and easy fixes, unless the spring is broken, or stops at broken off. I have even home replated a few. It makes you appreciate what you have more.

Don't give up on it yet. The blade stops definitely look non symmetrical. Easy fix. Take a small screwdriver to the one that is mashed down, and carefully pry up. Easy. If that fixes it, keep it.
As for the possibly bent door arms, take a par of dull pliers, Wray some electrical tape around it, to protect the razor metal, , and add some pressure to the bent area, after you take the door off the razor.
The good thing here, is that these razors are forgiving. Try the blade stop first, if that fixes it, and you don't care about anything else, keep it.
I have operated on several 1912's. Cheap and easy fixes, unless the spring is broken, or stops at broken off. I have even home replated a few. It makes you appreciate what you have more.

I really don't want to let this razor go. It's in wonderful condition (minus the stops, door, and spring) and is simply wonderful to just look at. However, I don't think I'm experienced enough to try and fix it myself. I'm too afraid I'll make things worse. Instead of returning it, I suppose I could just keep it for display purposes.

Well, you could display it. But you would always have the feeling, deep down, that the razor could be fixed, and it wasn't. You have just been given the knowledge, use it, fix it, and shave with it.
If you are able to open a can of green beans, you can adjust the blade stops. That easy.
Post the pics of your finished work.

Well, you could display it. But you would always have the feeling, deep down, that the razor could be fixed, and it wasn't. You have just been given the knowledge, use it, fix it, and shave with it.
If you are able to open a can of green beans, you can adjust the blade stops. That easy.
Post the pics of your finished work.
+1

Top Bottom