What's new

Fourth shave in and.

Hello everyone,

I am a recent convert to the world of DE shaving and today was possibly the best shave I've ever had in my life, my first 3 attempts had good results but today was great. I have been using the blade that came with my Merkur 34c razor along with the Proraso green line, pre shave, soap and after shave. Today I thought I'd change things up a bit. I swapped out the merkur blade for one in a sample pack I had ordered, I went with a Feather blade and also decided to use the Van Der Hagen soap that came with the beginner setup I had purchased. I still used the pre shave from Proraso and then went to work. I have read the feather blades are possibly the sharpest out of the box so I knew I had to be on my game or I could have ended up bleeding out on the floor, ok not that serious but you know what I mean. I did a 3 shave pass, making sure to wet my face and reapply the soap after each pass, I think maybe it could be a 3 1/2 shave pass actually I did go a fourth pass on a couple spots that the hair just grows weird and they were not satisfactory to me after the first 3 passes. I then applied the Nivea sensitive post shave balm I had from before I switched to DE. Then waited a bit and used the Clubman Pinaud After Shave Lotion. I had read that you will know how well you did shaving as soon as you apply Clubman so I was a little hesitant but manned up and went for it. There wasn't the single area that burned or stung. I'm a happy camper, not sure if the blade made the difference, the shave soap or the combination but I'm rather pleased with the results :001_smile read

Congratulations and welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Probably everything just came together for you, but Feather blades definitely DO make a difference--especially compared to Merkurs.

When I have lots of time I usually do a 4 pass and 5 in parts around my chin line and neck area, I go slow and don't press to avoid any irritation and finish up with a good AS like GFT or Clubman and finish off with something like Aveeno balm, congrats on the Great shave it only get's better.

Hello and welcome to B&B. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

I've been using the starter VDH soap exclusively since I started in August, and I've been fairly happy with it. How do you think it compared with the Proraso? Or do you think the blade change made all the difference?

Good job. I too have had great success with a DE although I have gone to the dark side and started using straights. Not as good so far as DE's but getting there. Welcome to B&B.

Mike

I've been using the starter VDH soap exclusively since I started in August, and I've been fairly happy with it. How do you think it compared with the Proraso? Or do you think the blade change made all the difference?

Hi Pappy,

I believe in terms of slickness and level of foam it's about even, I think I like the scent of the VDH a little more though there is nothing wrong with the scent of Proraso green. I really like the Proraso though due to the cooling and tingle you get from the menthol and eucalyptus. As for the blade change I feel it made a difference at least it seemed a little smoother going to me anyway, and as xxvaleria said earlier in the thread the Feather blades do make a difference in his opinion. I'll see how it goes for the next few shaves and try another brand from my sample pack but for now the Feather blade is one I will keep in mind for when I narrow it down to one blade I'll go with and buy in bulk.

Good job. I too have had great success with a DE although I have gone to the dark side and started using straights. Not as good so far as DE's but getting there. Welcome to B&B.

Mike

Hi Mike,

It's funny when I told my wife I had ordered a safety razor to start shaving with she thought it was a straight razor. She started checking to make sure my life insurance policy was up to date :)

Welcome! I'm still relatively new at this too. But I recently got over my fear of higher settings on my adjustables and find that I actually get better shaves with less after shave "sting" with the more aggressive setting. Maybe my best change is a Feather? Nice to hear your story.

Top Bottom