What's new

Fatip Piccolo

I use my Fatip with an angle that works. If it hurts move a little if it doesn't just keep going.
So many people stress how important angle is here but maybe I just do it automatically because I never ever pay attention to it and after only a month I'm getting regular BBS's and DFS's with it and a 66' SS.

I think I prefer how much easier it is to shave with my Fatip because as an aggressive razor it just has more of a working angle that can cut but I prefer the SS Flair Tip for the nostalgia.

I've got a terminology problem with steep and shallow angles since I've found opposite definition of them. If I get it right you mean keeping the blade almost parallel to the skin, right? More or less is what I've tried to do, I guess I need practice! I have no problem with WTG and XTG, while going against the grain I feel the blade biting. I'll try to stay as light as possible and practice with angles ;)

I had the Grande Gold version, but I sold it. Yes, it is great razor on great price, but the handle was just toooooo light for me and bad balanced. So much times I did begin with Fatip and end with EJ... Anyway it gave me one of the best BBS shaves, my advice is to try it on different heavier or longer handle, good luck!

Well, the Piccolo handle albeit being slimmer (piccolo is the Italian for little) is heavier than Grande's because it's not hollow as the latter. In fact the razor itself is just a few grams shy of the 34c. Anyway whenever I get my hands on a beefy handle I'll take the FaTip for a ride, since many of you are suggesting it gets better.

I've got a terminology problem with steep and shallow angles since I've found opposite definition of them. If I get it right you mean keeping the blade almost parallel to the skin, right? More or less is what I've tried to do, I guess I need practice! I have no problem with WTG and XTG, while going against the grain I feel the blade biting. I'll try to stay as light as possible and practice with angles ;)

I'd suggest that if your just starting out then ATG isn't even an option. I go ATG on parts of my face where the hair grows at a weird angle making WTG & ATG my only options but the rest of it I can still get a nice BBS with no problems like irritation or ingrown hairs by 2 sometimes 3 XTG passes.

Learn the basic's before experimenting. i myself got the basics after about 2 weeks and have been experimenting ever since.

You can always do an ATG you need to shave in the proper direction. Just let your beard grow a couple days and see in which direction the hairs are growing.

I would avoid ATG especially with an aggressive razor it's so easy to mess up and I do honestly believe it is not a good idea to ever go ATG for some people's beards because everyone's a little bit different.

If you have like an Italian beard that grows like tree trunks you're going to almost always cause irritation shaving against the grain but if you got like a German or maybe Japanese lighter beard ATG probably doesn't feel any different.

I would work on just WTG and XTG with the Fatip at least for a while because to me I can get almost a BBS without even going ATG.

Also try a steeper angle where the HANDLE of the razor is parallel to the skin. I find a shallow angle where you're touching the top cap to your skin can cause nicks at least for me.

i would avoid atg especially with an aggressive razor it's so easy to mess up and i do honestly believe it is not a good idea to ever go atg for some people's beards because everyone's a little bit different.

If you have like an italian beard that grows like tree trunks you're going to almost always cause irritation shaving against the grain but if you got like a german or maybe japanese lighter beard atg probably doesn't feel any different.

I would work on just wtg and xtg with the fatip at least for a while because to me i can get almost a bbs without even going atg.

Also try a steeper angle where the handle of the razor is parallel to the skin. I find a shallow angle where you're touching the top cap to your skin can cause nicks at least for me.

amen!

If you have like an Italian beard that grows like tree trunks you're going to almost always cause irritation shaving against the grain but if you got like a German or maybe Japanese lighter beard ATG probably doesn't feel any different. [...].
We are not all alike! :tongue_sm Just think of Valentino Rossi, or Gallinari, Bargnani, compared to the Super Mario stereotype that you're probably referring to... but I get what you mean and I'm probably halfway between what you call American and Italian beard since I've got both northern Europe and southern Italy ancestors.
I get nice ATGs with a 34c (and so I did in 16 years of cartridge razors) I definitely need to practice more with the FaTiP. I'll listen to you guys and I'll proceed cautiously step by step, oh and I'll try the steep angle thing ;)

The angle is in reference to the blade itself, so shallow means blade more parallel to the skin, steep means more toward perpendicular.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/410369-So-what-is-the-steep-angle

I prefer shallow blade angles, but some prefer the steep approach, especially on razors with a lot of blade exposure.

We are not all alike! :tongue_sm Just think of Valentino Rossi, or Gallinari, Bargnani, compared to the Super Mario stereotype that you're probably referring to... but I get what you mean and I'm probably halfway between what you call American and Italian beard since I've got both northern Europe and southern Italy ancestors.
I get nice ATGs with a 34c (and so I did in 16 years of cartridge razors) I definitely need to practice more with the FaTiP. I'll listen to you guys and I'll proceed cautiously step by step, oh and I'll try the steep angle thing ;)

Lol, I didn't even notice your location. I was just comparing that some cultural groups might have slight biological differences where ATG would be different for them. I'm from the Balkan region and I feel like we also have a rough beard similar to some Italians.

The 34c does a lot of guiding for you while a Fatip lets you use the angle you think is best which means if you get it wrong you get irritation/cuts. If you got good ATG shaves with the Merkur though there's no reason you can't with a Fatip just gotta learn the pressure and angle....and then it's time for a straight razor. :001_smile

I had more joy wanting and waiting on it, than the couple actual shaves i had with it.

It got me razor burn in my neck. So switched back to my beloved R41.

It got me razor burn in my neck. So switched back to my beloved R41.

@3gor4 Isn't the R41 supposed to be even more aggressive than FaTip?
@jamesspo thanks for the link (my bad, I didn't noticed it even if it's a sticky..) now the concept is clear ;)
@ahntu, yes the FaTip has more angle margin to play around.

I've shaved two more times with the FaTip since my initial impressions and I find it could be a daily driver avoiding ATG. With 2 passes I get almost as close as 3 passes with the 34c, yet the under nose and chin area even smoother with the FaTip. I'd say the stress on the skin is on par comparing a 2 pass FatTip VS 3 pass 34c shave; the benefit is that it's a time saver.

@3gor4 Isn't the R41 supposed to be even more aggressive than FaTip?

Supposedly it is a bit more aggressive.
It's quiet strange to me offcourse. Getting some razor burn. But when I'm using the roedter 1909 i don't get razor burns.

I'm not writing the fatip off and i definitely want to give it another go in a while.

I have both the R41 (sold off) and fatip grande.
The R41 is more aggressive and, to me, it shaves "better" than the fatip.
The fatip allows less angle play. In hindsight, I think I loved the R41 more, for 2 simple reasons:

a. I spent a lot of time learning to use the R41. I only "tried" the fatip once in a while.
b. The R41 looks so much nicer and I couldn't help but keep reaching for it :thumbup:

I came across a member stating that we usually don't ourselves enough time to get to know a razor (RAD, etc, etc).
So I used fatip exclusively for 2 weeks recently - and found myself enjoying it, after a few days of learning curve (pressure, the obsession with BBS, angles, etc).
Also, I discovered that certain blades work differently with fatip. Treet was the smoothest but last me a shave or two at most.

Tonight will be my last shave with Weber DLC (testing personna red). Tomorrow, it will be fatip again, before I move over to the slant (merkur)

I also realised that, when I gave my razors a chance, my RAD diminises...:blush:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The Fatip Piccolo is a superb, aggressive razor and my favourite OC. As wisely suggested above the key to get a clean, comfortable shave is ZERO PRESSURE, the head geometry and pronounced blade exposure do the job on their own by just gliding it super lightly on the skin. Actually, it's a little (=piccolo) Italian marvel. :thumbup1:

I put a WW2 STAR blade in my Fatip today and I'm looking forward to using it tomorrow. These blades are hyper thick in comparison to today's blades. I can actually see a large gap in between the baseplate and the topplate where the black colored blade sits. I'm quite curious how it will do in the Fatip now since I just finished off a Rainbow in my SS today.

Glad to see you guys are learning to appreciate your Fatip. In the month or so I have used it regularly it has become my daily razor. It did take me a while to get it down but it is the only razor that does a smooth job on my jawline and some of my neck. I really think that it will be razor of choice for the future. (Could be the cure for any RAD) I am still working on the blade match, some are smoother than others but every blade I have used with it give me a close to BBS shave with 2 passes. If I go 3 it is just to touch up some areas for the best BBS shave of any razor I have. I am still in awe as to how close it shaves, like my 5 o'clock shadow doesn't show up until 8.

It's not the fanciest razor in the bunch and yes the finish may be lacking a bit. Take your time, be patient and the Fatip will reward you. Fatip and Cella! a match made in heaven.
$Shave OCtober 005.jpg

Top Bottom