What's new

Got my new king 1k. Got a new gold dollar. Angle question on setting bevel!! :-)

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice up to this point. It's now time to bite the bullet.

Learning on the gold dollar.

My question is, if I tape the spine (or not) do I just lay the razor flat on the spine and edge to get the correct angle for the bevel or is it a voodoo angle that must be learned (ie: spine just in the air)?

Thanks so much. Keen to start.

Rob

Whoops! That was for the honing forum. Sorry about that. If a mod wants to move it that would be great. Cringe.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice up to this point. It's now time to bite the bullet.

Learning on the gold dollar.

My question is, if I tape the spine (or not) do I just lay the razor flat on the spine and edge to get the correct angle for the bevel or is it a voodoo angle that must be learned (ie: spine just in the air)?

Thanks so much. Keen to start.

Rob

Watch a few videos that have been posted here by more experienced members. To answer your question directly, you lay the razor flat on the honing surface and ensure that the spine stays in contact with the surface. There are no "voodoo angles" to speak of unless you have a problem edge and that should be left for either someone with more experience or, awhile down the road after you get the basics down pat.

The bevel will be established with the spine flat on the surface.

Good luck,

Frank

That's exactly what I was after! Thanks so much. I did watch a lot of videos but didn't hear mention of angle, just lots about x strokes, circles, etc. Much appreciated.
$uploadfromtaptalk1411720266286.jpg

Should I be able to shave arm hairs after setting a bevel or does that come later? I guess I'm after a good indicator that it's time to move to the Norton 4/8.

Do you always have to set the bevel? I thought that if it just needed honing, the higher grades were fine but if the edge is seriously buggered, then getting it back to a good standard of care before honing with the higher grades would be in order.

Legion

Staff member
Whoops! That was for the honing forum. Sorry about that. If a mod wants to move it that would be great. Cringe.

No worries.

Lay that puppy flat and have at it. A good bit of spine wear on a GD helps to get everything even.

You might need to lap the stone before using it.
It may look flat but it probably isn't.
Other than that someone might want to add a link to Slash's bevel setting step by step - in essence you do single edge strokes on one side, build a burr the length of the edge, flip it and do the same on the other side. Once that has been done, go to X's to remove the burr and you should have a good viable bevel.

Unless you know that the razor has been previously honed by someone that knew what they were doing, then you need to set the bevel.

Other than that someone might want to add a link to Slash's bevel setting step by step - in essence you do single edge strokes on one side, build a burr the length of the edge, flip it and do the same on the other side. Once that has been done, go to X's to remove the burr and you should have a good viable bevel.

Thanks for the advice. I'd love to see that link.

I've got it up to shaving arm hairs, so it's much better than the round edge it had before I started.

Good luck with the honing.

Thank you. I want to beat that steel. Own it. Make it mine. Sounds strange maybe but I love the idea of a piece of steel that I can sharpen, maintain and shave with. I know it will take time but I'm dedicated.

I think you're right. It looks flat but as I take the blade across the stone I see kind of warped dry areas as the water is collected.

I was thinking sandpaper. If so, what grit wet and dry would I be looking at?

Dont bother with taping the spine. With a GD, it's not like you are protecting a valuable heirloom passed down from GrandPa. Taping the spine will just help junk up your hone quicker.

Some certain razor prefer tape (gold wash, worked backs, fancy boy razors, etc...), most do not.

Top Bottom