What's new

Valet Auto Strop

I sometimes do very broad searches on ebay ("razor") sorted by "time ending soonest," and look for items ending in a few moments with few or no bids (Probably not the best thing for someone with RAD to be doing). My latest bargain is a Valet Auto Strop set.

$autostrop1.JPG

The box has seen better days, but the razor shows no visible wear and the plating is perfect. The strop is still in the band and apparently has never been used. The original directions and some vintage blades were also included.

I had learned (probably from somewhere in this forum) that Feather still makes blades that fit these, so I ordered up a supply. They do indeed fit perfectly. I think that they are stainless, but it's hard to say for sure, as all the writing on the packages is in Japanese.

$autostrop3.JPG

From Waits Compendium I have learned that this is a VC4 model, the last of the Auto Strop series and the only one with a safety bar instead of an open comb. On the instructions it says, "Printed in U.S.A. 11-1-46." According to Waits the VC4 was produced from 1941 to 1946, so from that date I surmise that my specimen is one of the very last ones off the assembly line.

$autostrop4.JPG

This looks like it has the potential to be seriously agressive. In addition, Feather blades have a reputation for being exceptionally sharp.

I plan on taking it for a shave this weekend, and I would welcome any advice, comments, words of warning, etc., especially from people who own/use one of these.

Oh, and I have an older open comb version on the way. :001_rolle

--Bob

Looks great. There's a fair bit of blade visible there. That would having me shaking before I started my shave :w00t:

Great find. I have several, and will tell you if you want to keep it looking display quality, do not use it. The gold plating comes off easily, with very minimal cleaning. I had some gold come off with using just a polishing cloth. Put it away, and find a cheap nickel plated version to use as a shaver.

Super! I love the VC4, which gives a very smooth and forgiving shave - consider it the 'Tech' of the Valets.

Now, that box ...

Please don't think of taping it. You can put a little smear of super glue down one edge of the split and hold the other to it. Fixed and strengthened in one.

You have a lovely set there. Cherish it!

Great find. I have several, and will tell you if you want to keep it looking display quality, do not use it. The gold plating comes off easily, with very minimal cleaning. I had some gold come off with using just a polishing cloth. Put it away, and find a cheap nickel plated version to use as a shaver.

Thanks - this is good info. I have a nickel-plated one with no box on the way, so I may wait and shave with that one. The only thing I used to clean this one was Scrubbing Bubbles and dish detergent.

--Bob

Super! I love the VC4, which gives a very smooth and forgiving shave - consider it the 'Tech' of the Valets.

Now, that box ...

Please don't think of taping it. You can put a little smear of super glue down one edge of the split and hold the other to it. Fixed and strengthened in one.

You have a lovely set there. Cherish it!

Thanks for the advice. I knew that taping the box pretty much kills any collector value, but I hadn't thought of superglue. I'll give that a try.

--Bob

Top Bottom