What's new

Semogue 830 problem!

After reading some threads about subject, I decided to buy one Semogue, due to it softness, quality and bla-bla-bla.
So, Im using it 3 months, 2-3 times per week with my Arko and Cella, both with face and bowl lathering. But I cant get enough lather for 2nd and 3rd passes. Im very dissapointed. My cheap turkish Jaguar 338 boar brush produce lather at least for 3-4 passes. So, I dont think my lathering technique has problem. Loading time minimum 60 seconds, with soaps. Even with my russian Everest cream I cant get enought lather. For first pass there is no problem. But after....
So, i need some advices from bb-ers. For me, there is problem with boar hairs, maybe quality of them not good like old production.

My first observation is that your brush may not yet be fully broken-in, and that could account for some of your problems. You've only used your brush for the equivalent of less than a month daily lathers. Also, it is imperative that you allow your brush to fully dry between uses to hastening the splitting of the tips. I would caution patience, as some Semogues simply take a very long time to achieve their true potential.

As for additional advice, I would suggest experimentation with two techniques. I personally prefer the Marco Method with my Semogues (using a very wet brush to build lather - see link.) Others have had luck starting with the opposite, using a very dry brush and adding water very gradually. Regardless, I would load the brush heavily, until there's at least a soapy paste on the tips of your bristles.

Also, don't forget to soak your brush at least a few minutes before use. I've noticed that a boar that has not been saturated tends to "eat" my lather between passes as it absorbs the water.

Good luck!

My first observation is that your brush may not yet be fully broken-in, and that could account for some of your problems. You've only used your brush for the equivalent of less than a month daily lathers. Also, it is imperative that you allow your brush to fully dry between uses to hastening the splitting of the tips. I would caution patience, as some Semogues simply take a very long time to achieve their true potential.

* This and use more product then you are use to. Good luck.

I always soak my brush 10-15 min during shower. Between each shaves I let the brush dry fully at least 48 hours. Also I prefer Marcos method )))))

Weird...by this time your 830 should lather like a champ
I just face lathered with it last night -more than enough for 3 passes (DRH soap). Also, Marco's method :D

A fellow member from another forum just ordered a spare - that's how good he thinks it is :)

Something is "wrong" with yours...

Pics:

many days "old":
$830-77-66-1.jpg

Few months later
$R41withEJcream.jpg

After a shave (then)
$830EJcreamweber-1.jpg

Recently:
$Merkurslantshave13-8-14.jpg

View of my brush same. Hairs are splashed, as I wrote before, for first pass I can get very nice lather. But for second, d'oh. Inside of brush is empty, dry with no lather.

Your story sounds like my story. I've had my Semogue 830 for about the same amount of time. I'm having trouble getting enough lather, too. I have tried a "wet" brush, a "dry" brush and everything in between. I've used hot water and cold water. I use it every other day, rotating it with my badger brush.

I have been using a brush and soap for about 45 years and do not recall ever having this much trouble with a brush. Shavier, you have my sympathies.

After reading some threads about subject, I decided to buy one Semogue, due to it softness, quality and bla-bla-bla.
So, Im using it 3 months, 2-3 times per week with my Arko and Cella, both with face and bowl lathering. But I cant get enough lather for 2nd and 3rd passes. Im very dissapointed. My cheap turkish Jaguar 338 boar brush produce lather at least for 3-4 passes. So, I dont think my lathering technique has problem. Loading time minimum 60 seconds, with soaps. Even with my russian Everest cream I cant get enought lather. For first pass there is no problem. But after....
So, i need some advices from bb-ers. For me, there is problem with boar hairs, maybe quality of them not good like old production.

I felt exactly the same about both my first and second 830...

I know you said your technique is good , maybe this video can help..http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/shaving-cream-guide/
I have a Sem 1250 and it took a long time to break it in....now its very good
if your losing your lather , I believe that there's too much water in the brush...shake it well before loading...

If that doesnt work...use your other brush and then with leftover lather work the Sem and just leave it on overnight..dry completely next day
Maybe a few more weeks can condition it better

just a thought

Mike

No shame in going back to the puck for more soap if you need more. I'd say keep using it and it'll get better. My SOC kept getting noticeably better for at least six months of the same kind of use you're giving yours. I still really only get 2 passes worth of lather from it and maybe enough for a touch up but that's my normal routine so it works for me.

One suggestion:
If you have a tube of cream, squeeze 2~3 inches of it into a bowl and lather.

If this fails, then it cannot be the fault of the brush - cannot imagine any brush (even new) not giving tonnes of lather with 2~3 inches of cream. It must be something else.

I have had the same problem with the 820 (same knot without the fake black band). Enough for 2 passes, but thin for third. Did me a favour in a way as I've now learnt that I can get an excellent DFS shave in 2 passes.

Had the same problem with my VDH deluxe boar.

To get thicker lather on my 4th pass with a 22x50mm boar knot than my 24x50mm TGN 24mm silvertip knot does on the 2nd pass, I do the following:

5 minute soak (rather than 3),
medium wet brush (no squeeze,
2-3 light/swinging shakes),
soak the brush in a cup of warm (not hot, not cold) water
- with the soap in the bottom of the mug of water (rather than dry soap),
70 second load (rather than 60)

For 3 passes of thick lather, I can soak he brush 3 minutes, use dry soap, and load for 80 seconds. Or soak the soap and load for 60 seconds.

If I do everything listed in the 3 pass list, but only load for 60 seconds, I only get 2 passes of thick lather, and a 3rd with useable but not thick lather.

Ps: I've been using my boar daily for about 2 months. It's humid here, so it never fully drys... As a result, I have NO split tips, and still have the clumpy disheveled look like the one posted above under "after a few days". There is also no splay, but the last 3/8" of the Bristles do feel less rigid than I remember them being when new.

So I think you should be able to get good lather with your partially broken in brush too :)

Last edited:
What I do with mine is load load load. Then I build build build the lather directly on my face. I keep a small bowl (more mug sized inside than a bowl you'd use for bowl lathering) nearby. I also use a very wet lather technique maybe giving the brush 2 or three light shakes. When I load the brush I try to catch anything that is falling off of the puck into my small bowl. I let my brush sit in the bowl between passes and if needed I will add even more water to the soap on my face. I normally get 3 full passes and a cleanup pass.

Top Bottom