What's new

Converters.Pros and Cons?

I'm with Rockminer on this. I'm basically done with C/C for the most part, and for the reasons he stated.

I also think C/C is prone to creating a vacuum that resists capilary action, so I tend to have to unscrew the thing and and push some air out for the pen to flow well, but even if that were not true I would still greatly prefer old school filling mechanisms. I LIKE the fact that they are less practical, for the same reason I like to hone my razors and wind my watches.

I just got around to reading Brian Gray's essay. It seems like a good one to me. I think I basically agree with syngent's first post.

I generally fill all of my pens with a syringe and needle anyway. I agree with Vlad, though, that it seems to me converters tend to create more flow problems. Not that big a deal for me to twist down the converter, though.

I'm going to try and condense this down as much as I can, but I will gladly explain in further detail, if anyone wishes me to do so.

I'm in the camp that doesn't particularly like c/c filling systems (in certain applications), not because they don't work, or aren't convenient. I also don't feel like I'm naive or close minded as Brian states in the beginning of his article.

Disclaimer: I don't want to harp on the words Brian used. I probably wouldn't have used them, because I think most fountain pen users know exactly what a c/c is and how it works, and while I can't speak for everyone that doesn't like c/c (in certain applications), I think that most of them understand the filling system quite well, and understands why they don't like them. I just think it was a poor choice of words, nothing more.

The reason I don't really like the c/c option isn't because I wouldn't use it (I have several pens that have a c/c, but they are lower priced pens), but because I feel like a filling system is part of the joy of a fountain pen. I think it's part of an overall experience, just like the Nib, cap, body, overall shape, and manufacturer. Now, when I say that, my thoughts are more geared towards higher end pens. I certainly understand the value of a c/c in a utility pen, or for people that don't really care about filling systems in pens.

This overall joy also applies to other things involved with the hobby, including but not limited to: paper, ink bottles, packaging etc. What if the standard c/c converter was adopted in the other realms of the pen world? What if we had standard international pen packaging, standard international ink bottle size, shape, labeling and packaging, standard international pen design, colors, and shape? I for one know that if this were to happen, I wouldn't be buying any pens that fit this criteria. The reason would be because it wouldn't be fun anymore, and I guess that's the biggest reason I don't particularly like the c/c, it's just not fun. It's not fun to look at and it's not fun to use.

So this brings me back to my statement about not liking the c/c "in certain applications". I feel like higher end pens should come with the option of an alternative filling system. It seems rather easy to build a pen around a filling system that pretty much any pen maker can buy. And if anyone can buy it, and it's roughly the same, industry wide, what am I really paying for? I just don't have a sense of pride in ownership when I unscrew the barrel of an expensive pen and see a c/c, that's used on cheaper pens, starring me in the face. This is where Edison pens shines as a company. Brian offers different filling systems in almost all of his pens (within reason) and it's why I think he's near the top, if not the top, of custom pen manufacturers.

In summary:

I feel like the filling system is as important as any other aspect of a FP. In lower end pens, I don't particularly have a problem with the c/c . The more money I spend, the more I want to be wowed with the pen, and a filling system is a large part of the overall picture of the pen. I'd be far happier if the standard international converter was modeled after the Tibaldi Davina referenced in Brian's article, and would consider buying a lot more pens if that was the norm.

I also understand that not everyone feels the way I do about this subject. We all have things that we like to see when it comes to spending our money on fountain pens, and I completely understand how others may not care so much about the filling system.
You summed up my thoughts exactly. I can tolerate C/C in a less expensive utility pen, but if I'm going to invest in a quality pen it will be piston filled.

Larry --

I've been much happier with piston-fill pens, but that's really for the greater ink capacity. With a regular converter, I find that I can write about 7 pages, which is about right for a session. That means that I have to ink up just about every session, and that annoys me. My Lamy 2000 can write about 17 pages for me, and I like that a lot better. I have a nice Parker Premier that writes like a dream, but having to stop and ink in the middle of a session is terrible.

I honestly haven't ever tried cartridges. I would guess that they were easy to use, but I feel a lot better knowing that I'm not tossing more plastic into landfills. Plus, if I like an ink, I can write a *lot*, so I'd rather know that I have ink to last me months instead of a box of 12 cartridges. That's just really my own opinion, though.

Robert

I also think C/C is prone to creating a vacuum that resists capilary action, so I tend to have to unscrew the thing and and push some air out for the pen to flow well...

Vlad --

That's a great point. One other issue I have with C/C pens is that I usually have to do what I call "goosing" after 2 pages. "Goosing" is holding the nib up and screwing the converter to squeeze out the air that displaces the ink while writing. I've found that with a piston-fill pen, I get the same good ink flow from full to empty. To be fair, goosing a pen is a minor inconvenience, but this post did allow me to admit my peculiar turn of nomenclature.

Robert

Vlad --

That's a great point. One other issue I have with C/C pens is that I usually have to do what I call "goosing" after 2 pages. "Goosing" is holding the nib up and screwing the converter to squeeze out the air that displaces the ink while writing. I've found that with a piston-fill pen, I get the same good ink flow from full to empty. To be fair, goosing a pen is a minor inconvenience, but this post did allow me to admit my peculiar turn of nomenclature.

Robert

It's official. The procedure is now called "goosing." :thumbup:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
If you're having to do that then I feel there's a problem. You should have good ink flow from start to finish -- cartridge, converter, ink sac, piston, whatever.

Having to do that shows you've got poor flow due to bad feed/nib design, crummy ink, clogs, misaligned parts, incorrectly set feed -- needs work IMO.

If you're having to do that then I feel there's a problem. You should have good ink flow from start to finish -- cartridge, converter, ink sac, piston, whatever.

Having to do that shows you've got poor flow due to bad feed/nib design, crummy ink, clogs, misaligned parts, incorrectly set feed -- needs work IMO.

Big +1.

-Andy

There may be something to the "converter doesn't work well with this pen" going on.

I thought I remember James saying that he had a problem with his FA nib 912, in that respect.

There may be something to the "converter doesn't work well with this pen" going on.

I thought I remember James saying that he had a problem with his FA nib 912, in that respect.

I'm pretty sure that any flow issues related to an FA nib have everything to do with the feed and nothing to do with the converter. That was my (and many others') experience anyway.

-Andy

I'm pretty sure that any flow issues related to an FA nib have everything to do with the feed and nothing to do with the converter. That was my (and many others') experience anyway.

-Andy

There is a flow issue between the con 70 and where it sits in the feed, likes to gather air there to rapidly and traps ink above the bubble, I swapped out to the con 20 and my pen works 1000 times better the con 20 has a different and more narrow base to it, It makes the thermodynamics (I think thats the sciencey term for flowy stuff) different and the ink bubble doesnt form, it slips up like it should allowing ink to flow, Chris is right, I have stated that one, and it did work for me. but that has to do with the rapid ink/air transfer when flexing out, I dont think this pen would write that wet to have that happen. It seems as if there is something in the feed itself that would cause that kind of issue.

I dont think this pen would write that wet to have that happen. It seems as if there is something in the feed itself that would cause that kind of issue.

I would agree with that. He mentions pen(s) so I wonder if it's same brands, same size Nibs, etc. I know my Twsbi with a 1.1 runs drier if I just plug away writing without taking a break. I don't know if that's normal, and I certainly wouldn't compare Twsbi's with better pens and feeds.

There is a flow issue between the con 70 and where it sits in the feed, likes to gather air there to rapidly and traps ink above the bubble, I swapped out to the con 20 and my pen works 1000 times better the con 20 has a different and more narrow base to it, It makes the Fluid dynamics (I think thats the sciencey term for flowy stuff) different and the ink bubble doesnt form, it slips up like it should allowing ink to flow, Chris is right, I have stated that one, and it did work for me. but that has to do with the rapid ink/air transfer when flexing out, I dont think this pen would write that wet to have that happen. It seems as if there is something in the feed itself that would cause that kind of issue.

close.

Nothing original to offer on the pros and cons of converters. Easier to clean thoroughly, if they go bad, just replace them, many have a quite adequate ink capacity. Indeed, of the four pens I have inked right now, two have Pilot CON-70 converters, one has a long international converter, and the other has a Pilot cartridge instead of the CON-20 converter which is my other choice for it.

I like modern pens with built in piston fillers, even though I don't have one inked right now. I find them, and vintage pens with some sort of sac based filling system, to be more technically interesting than converters. I've used some converters that had problems, locking up because of air bubbles or some other unidentified issue or not drawing in much ink, for example. When you find one that works well in a given pen, though, it's hard to make the case that a built in system is inherently superior.

If a pen has a good nib, is comfortable to hold and well balanced, and will get through a respectable number of pages without a refill, then I don't worry too much about how the ink got in there. I do write quite a lot, but if I run out of ink when I'm on a hot streak, I always have another pen right there. I don't think I've ever emptied two pens at a sitting.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I can tolerate C/C in a less expensive utility pen, but if I'm going to invest in a quality pen it will be piston filled.

I sort of feel that way.

Sort of.

To me, an expensive pen is expensive for one or more reasons ... gold nib instead of steel, quality of construction, nib construction quality, quality control, fancy body artwork, "fashion" brand mark-up, whatever. Even a more complicated filling mechanism. If I buy a Sailor 1911, it's because of the Nagahara nib. If I buy a Pilot custom heritage 92, it's because of the piston filler. If I buy a Nakaya, it's because of the stunning pen body ... would I prefer my Sailor and Nakaya come with piston fillers? Of course. Am I willing to overlook the absence for other characteristics? Yes (to a degree).

And this, coming from a guy who likes to eyedropper any pen he can, for the ink capacity.

Here's something of interest: for years, Sailor made only c/c pens. Then, a few years back, they came out with a "REALO" piston filler ... and charged a premium for it. Pelikan has for years only made (more or less) piston fillers at least in their "M" series pens. Then, just recently, they announced a c/c M-200 pen ... and are charging the same as a piston-fill M-200.

And Im pretty sure with the Realo and its ink capacity, its just a sealed converter anyway, Visconti does that on a few pens as well

Top Bottom