What's new

BBS-1 #19 landed

$photo 1.jpg
(BBS-1 with Weber PH, and Semogue Mistura)

LA Shaving Soap BBS-1 Razor #19 arrived today. I am working at home so had a quick shave... of course. It is a thing of beauty, that's for sure.
Great feel, both the handle and the weight. The shave was smooth and quick! I'm sure I'll have more to say about it. Can't wait to try it with different blades. I didn't use the Feather that John sent since I haven't had much luck with them... I will, but not today.
$BBS1 1.jpg

Last edited:
Second shave was really good. The feel and weight of the razor is so comfortable and intuitive. Used a Crystal Platinum and it was very smooth. I'm looking forward to improving my technique.

When I first used the Weber I didn't care for it, but a few shaves later I really enjoyed it and got a great shave. I always felt that it wasn't quite efficient enough, too much touching up. The BBS-1 is more efficient requiring very little touch up.

Thanks! So far so good It's a pleasure to handle. I still don't know if anything shaves me as close as a NEW.
BTW what blade are you using?
Cheers,
If you enjoy yours half as much as I do mine, you're going to be very, very happy indeed!

I tried the Feather and got a DFS+ shave. Lots of feedback and a weeper too. I'll keep shaving with the Feathers for a while . This is my first time using the Feathers that wasn't uncomfortable.

I'm using the included feathers and loving it!

I use Feather New Hi Stainless in just about everything, including the BBS-1. Oddly enough the only razor that seems to demand something milder is my Weber. In that one I use either a BIC or a Kai. And my Weber has none of the "wavy" issues.....it just likes BIC blades. First look at the BBS-1 with a blade installed, and I was hesitant about the Feather. But I get the best shave of any razor I own or have owned, with never even so much as irritation on the neck. Yeah, I really like it. Just ask Chamm. :001_rolle

Had two more shaves with the Feather in the BBS-1. Three passes and a little touch up in the usual places produced BBS/DFS result. It's easy to navigate this razor around the face, and just feels good in the hand.

I can't say it's 3x better than the Weber or my NEW, but the results are consistent and enjoyable. There is definitely a sense of 'pride of ownership', as I feel when shaving with the Weber. Using a US made quality product adds to the experience- as it does with the NEW and the Sheraton.

I'm going to stick with the BBS-1 and Feather for several shaves, or more, before I try another razor.

Thanks to everyone here for the push to make this purchase.

SOTN:
BBS-1
Feather (3)
Century Pure Badger
QCS Vostok (this sample is lasting for many many shaves)
RR Alum
Kiehl's toner
Kiehl's balm, probably not necessary but nice to use at night.

It's a really impressive razor. And now I want a Semogue Mistura to go with it, too. That just somehow looks "right". (No, I don't need another brush!) (Or razor for that matter). (This forum is bad for my wallet).

Last edited:
+1

"This razor has been fabricated from a single machinist in Canada out of stainless steel"
- taken from the website.

Another shave with the Feather blade. I get a good result, but not always BBS on my cheeks even with 3 passes. The overall shave is consistent and some areas that are difficult with other razors, under the jawline, feel much better now. I'm hoping that another blade will achieve a better result in some of the easy to shave areas, e.g. cheeks. I think I'll try the Silver Blue for my next shave...

Oh yeah, I used the Mistura this morning with some of Eva Nestorova's Orange and Bergamot and got a fabulous great smelling later. The Mistura whips up a terrific lather and feels good on the face too.

Last edited:
Another shave with the Feather blade. I get a good result, but not always BBS on my cheeks even with 3 passes. The overall shave is consistent and some areas that are difficult with other razors, under the jawline, feel much better now. I'm hoping that another blade will achieve a better result in some of the easy to shave areas, e.g. cheeks. I think I'll try the Silver Blue for my next shave...

Oh yeah, I used the Mistura this morning with some of Eva Nestorova's Orange and Bergamot and got a fabulous great smelling later. The Mistura whips up a terrific lather and feels good on the face too.
Does it seem mild?

Does it seem mild?
Not sure what mild is. It's not quite as "efficient" as my NEW, but it does give me a better overall shave that really lasts. I think I need to change my technique a little bit on some areas.

Today I used a GSB and had another great shave. A little smoother than the Feather, maybe not as close.

What does not as efficient but with a better shave mean? Just less skin irritation?
I really want one of these no matter what you say, but anything that'll help me feel better about not being able to afford a $285 razor just now! ;-)

What does not as efficient but with a better shave mean? Just less skin irritation?
I really want one of these no matter what you say, but anything that'll help me feel better about not being able to afford a $285 razor just now! ;-)
Yeah, I'm not that good with the terminology, sorry. Yes, there is less irritation though two passes don't get me to BBS. Touch ups are easy. But like I said the overall feeling by the time I use AS and my face dries is very very nice and consistent. I get an even all around shave.
I will be able to be clearer after a few more shaves. As much as I enjoy shaving with it, I can's say that it blows my other razors out of the water... Weber, NEW, Sheraton, although it's the easiest to handle and get around the tight spots.

There are others who have written more coherently and done a better job of detailing the good qualities of the BBS-1. I sure wouldn't talk you out of it, I'm sure you'd enjoy it!

Top Bottom