What's new

BBS-1 #19 landed

Thank you CT23 -- your reviews are really level-headed, to my eye anyway.
Thanks. There's definitely a bias when one is using a very expensive well regarded product. We want to like it and we want it to perform commensurate with it's price and reputation.
I do look forward to every shave with the BBS-1 !!!

Best shave so far ! Wow.
Just tweaked my technique a bit. wtg, atg, xtg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412183149.599616.jpg
Semogue 2000
CRSW Savon 1
BBS1
GSB (2)
RR alum
Pitralon AS Classic

Thanks. There's definitely a bias when one is using a very expensive well regarded product. We want to like it and we want it to perform commensurate with it's price and reputation.
I do look forward to every shave with the BBS-1 !!!

Well, you obviously do like yours at least half as much as I like mine. :001_smile The way things stand right now, the BBS-1 would probably be the last razor standing if I had to choose just one. Is it perfect......no, not for everyone IMO. And are there days when I opt for something else in the rotation......absolutely. But I agree, I grin every time the BBS-1 comes to the front of the lineup.

Well, you obviously do like yours at least half as much as I like mine. :001_smile The way things stand right now, the BBS-1 would probably be the last razor standing if I had to choose just one. Is it perfect......no, not for everyone IMO. And are there days when I opt for something else in the rotation......absolutely. But I agree, I grin every time the BBS-1 comes to the front of the lineup.

I think a BBS-1 is going on my long-term want list (insufficient budget in the short term). How does it compare to the ATT razor system?

I'll be interested in John's (ThinCrust's) take on the Mongoose, SE comparison to the DE BBS-1.
But mostly I'm in Shawn's position.

Maybe sacrilege, but I'd also like to see the BBS-1 compared to The Standard. Of course materials and build quality aren't any sort of contest, but as has been pointed out in the poll threads, both of these razors get similar comments in re: simultaneously very forgiving and very efficient.

I'll be interested in John's (ThinCrust's) take on the Mongoose, SE comparison to the DE BBS-1.
But mostly I'm in Shawn's position.

Maybe sacrilege, but I'd also like to see the BBS-1 compared to The Standard. Of course materials and build quality aren't any sort of contest, but as has been pointed out in the poll threads, both of these razors get similar comments in re: simultaneously very forgiving and very efficient.

Since I'm on the Batch 2 list for the Mongoose, that just may happen. :001_smile

Since I'm on the Batch 2 list for the Mongoose, that just may happen. :001_smile
I knew you were on the list... if you go through with the purchase, it has to happen! (I'm begging you, John...)
I'm on the Batch2 list, too. My budget for 2014 ended right around the time I got on it!

Maybe someday I'll do the comparison with The Standard, myself. But that might be a long while coming.

I guess I'm getting the hang of this bad boy, because today was another terrific shave. Even some trouble areas under my jaw and chin are nice and smooth BBS-. It's so easy to do touchups with no irritation.

I'm resisting temptation to break out another razor for a while.

Today my wife commented on both the feel and the look of my face today! That's nice.

Mistura/Stirling Ozark/BBS1-GSB(3)/alum/Speick

Last edited:
I guess I'm getting the hang of this bad boy, because today was another terrific shave. Even some trouble areas under my jaw and shine and nice and smooth BBS-. It's so easy to do touchups with no irritation.

Was there a slight learning curve and what did you find it was?

Was there a slight learning curve and what did you find it was?
Yeah. Mostly it's been reexamining my beard growth... e.g. on my cheeks my XTG needs to be a bit more diagonal. I'm not sure why this is more obvious now, but today's shave was really smooth almost BBS everywhere.

Also it's okay to clean up areas with multiple short strokes without any irritation. And by "bullfrogging" below my jaw I could get a bit closer, also without any irritation. It's actually fun to use this razor.

I've been trying different blades: Feather, Voskhod, Gillette Silver Blue, Wilkinson and today an Astra SS. All shaves have been smooth and comfortable, but the Astra SS was the biggest surprise. I didn't have much time so went for a pretty quick 2 pass mostly WTG, and got DFS for sure. I don't know how many shaves the Astra has in it but number 1 was great. The Wilkinson wasn't great on shave 4 but certainly acceptable.

I have yet to use another razor since I received the BBS-1. ( I picked up my Weber, but put it down...later, later.)
Wow. I continue to be impressed by the BBS-1.

Went back to the Feather for the last couple of shaves. I couldn't get them to work as well in any other razor. Yesterday was BBS for what seemed like all day.

Tonight I used a wetter lather, QCS Rose Otto, and two passes with the Feather was really nice.
I really like the way I can do touch up buffing without any irritation.

Are more people getting BBS-1s?

I emailed twice with no replies. Should I be getting a reply to my emails? I would really like to try one.

I emailed twice with no replies. Should I be getting a reply to my emails? I would really like to try one.

I'm also waiting for one . And yes I did get a reply that I was on the list . So maybe try and mail him again . I mailed him thru his site if that helps.

great shot, CT23. The brush (a TSN LE?), razor, and scuttle are ALL gorgeous. Nice counter, too. (And Pitralon comes in a cool bottle -- I never used it, but it's pretty).

Thanks. That's an Elite with WSP 28mm HMW knot. I sort of got it to match the TSN M6...they appear to be made from the same stock.
Pitralon smells great and leaves good face feel. To me it is a "classic" aftershave.

Last edited:
Top Bottom