What's new

Tenth shave.

I have recently completed my tenth or so straight razor shave. This is first time I have been 100% satisfied with the results. Lather came together nicely, I didn't spend much time fussing around trying to find the best way to grip the blade for each stroke, no nicks, next to zero irritation, and very smooth skin. A very satisfying feeling. Cartridges are now officially a thing of the past for me.

I've even got the chin area down pretty well now. The only place where I could still use some advice is on the upper lip. Downward WTG stokes are no problem. XTG is only slightly more difficult. But while ATG can be done, it is a chore. I read about some people entirely skipping this last step because of the risk of nose relocation. However, I really like having this area as closely shaven as the rest of my face.

I found a YouTube video where a guy grasps the blade from both ends and makes a sweeping motion upwards. Maybe even using the motion of his head, nodding downward, to complete the stroke. I have tried this a little, but it is always uncomfortable. I am not terrily afraid of being cut, it is just tough to get a nice smooth and consistent motion doing anything I have tried. If some you more seasoned shavers would be willing to offer some insight, I am all ears.

I use short strokes. Very short strokes under the nose. I shave with the scales parallel to the blade when ATG (like a Kamisori) and only one hand on the razor as I find it more comfortable.

I don't even bother ATG under the nose though others do. I just don't find the risk worth it. One WTG and 2 XTG passes get it very close and you could always increase the number of those passes to get it even closer.

I didn't even do ATG with a DE under the nose when I used to use them. Even a fresh feather blade was uncomfortable AGT on my upper lip.

Going ATG under your nose is a bold move. I have read here that is referred to as "the fool's pass." I am not making that reference to the OP, I just find that a humorous and vivid phrase.

I shave my upper lip ATG S/N every morning. Razor is in my right hand for both sides of the lip. On the left side, I start at the corner of my mouth with the tip and shave upwards towards my nose. Lots of lip english is required. Right side also starts at the corner of my mouth, but shaving with the heel upwards towards my nose. Center is done with the center of the blade.

Easy on the coffee before hand.

.. Lots of lip english is required... Easy on the coffee before hand.

Two really good points here. For me the only way to get a proper ATG on my lip is to pinch the razor with both my left and right hand and to have my lip make the actual motion of gliding across the blade.

I shave my upper lip ATG S/N every morning. Razor is in my right hand for both sides of the lip. On the left side, I start at the corner of my mouth with the tip and shave upwards towards my nose. Lots of lip english is required. Right side also starts at the corner of my mouth, but shaving with the heel upwards towards my nose. Center is done with the center of the blade.

Easy on the coffee before hand.
[Shudder] makes me glad I have moustache [emoji41]

I just tried the one handed, really short strokes method. Worked out pretty well. So far I like it better than the two handed, head nodding approach that I have been trying. I will still practice both ways though.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Top Bottom