What's new

Measuring the "Stockpile" of Shaving Supplies

I always was curious, intrigued or even aghast at the admitted volume of accumulated shaving supplies by some members. You know, the threads on how many blades in your stash, razors in collection, and drawers full of soaps and creams, and shelves with gallons of aftershave splash. But now after almost three years into my new "shave life" I have discovered I'm one of those guys! I knew I had passed some like recently when I performed an inventory of soaps, creams, blades, and aftershave bottles. I realized I was gathering quire a few things but then I decided to apply some math and I learned that on any given day I have approximately 3-4 years supply of everything.

Then I ask myself, why am I still finding new things to try? My blade stash is at about 300 (4 years) but I have a short list of other blades to try. "Try" is a misnomer, I typically research and decide on a great blade to "try" but then but 100 because of value! I have 3+ years of soaps but yet I have a short list of "must try" soaps! What the heck?

Has anyone else ever added up blades and soap and calculated the longevity of your stash and then were shocked?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Soap-wise, I must be around 10 years according to my guess on how quickly a soap melts. For AS, I can easily go 8 years if not 9. I went a bit crazy with larger bottles so I'm good for a while.

Blades, well, it depends as I'm still experimenting (surprise, surprise). The thing here, a single edge blade lasts me a little bit (around 9-10 shaves). An injector blade, same. A DE blade is anywhere between 2 and 7 shaves depending on the razor I use vs blade. So it's a bit difficult right now. I would have a rough guess of 2-3 years of blades.

Right now, the only things that I buy are samples. Could be soaps, AS or blades but no full products or bottles. That way, I keep everything to a minimum. I'm still running on a super sampler pack from 8 months ago...

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
So you're actually saving money! :w00t:

:thumbup:

I would say yes as I keep buying blades in sampler packs. I haven't touched the "regluar" brand that works well in my razors in 3 months easy. If I keep my wallet in my pocket, yup, saving a lot!

I'm pretty comfortable with my "stockpile". I won't let it get any bigger (I hope I hope I hope) and when anything is used up I will re-stock or try something new. I have:
7 brushes (1 for each day of the week)
9 soaps (7 are excellent, other 2 will be replaced with something new when they run out)
4 excellent double edge razors (enough rotation for me)
1-1/2 to 2 years worth of blades
6 different aftershaves

I have made it so I only have room for these many products. There's a place for everything and everything is in its place.

Seems to working just fine for me.

Well, not shocked but I like to keep a two year supply on hand. 200 blades is $24. Seems cheap
two DE razors in case one breaks.
I have a brush, need a backup have 6 months in soaps.

I buy most things Mail order and that takes a week. So I need a bit of a supply.

Currently?

3 brushes (badger)
4 soaps
5 aftershaves
3 fragrances
2 Feather AC razors
10 DE razors
3 disposable razors

I'm in the process of decluttering. At various points I've had soaps, brushes etc in double digits but I'm working down to select favourites. Admittedly, I'm finding it hard to sell razors.

Well, not shocked but I like to keep a two year supply on hand. 200 blades is $24. Seems cheap
two DE razors in case one breaks.
I have a brush, need a backup have 6 months in soaps.

I buy most things Mail order and that takes a week. So I need a bit of a supply.
Same here.

I've been consciously trying to maintain a grip after a couple of months in the DE game:

Razors: 3 (EJ DE89 for most days, birthday quarter Slim Adjustable, Weck Sextoblade shavette)
Creams: 4 (TOBS sandalwood and grapefuit, Dettol Cool and Fresh)
Soaps: 2 (La Toja and LEA sticks). May get more at Christmas.
Brushes: 6 (3 modestly priced boars, high-end item is a Simpson's Berkeley 46)
Blades: Still relying on a PIF stash.
Aftershaves and balms: A few different new products but no budget-busters. Using what I had before.

With software, I want to try to stick to finishing what I have before going after something new.
I've also been able to cadge a few samples at various stores to inject variety.

I'm really, really scared to actually total up the amount of aftershave I have. I'll be doing it probably in the next week or so, once I get my shelves put up, so I can get them all back out after my move. Gallons, probably several gallons.

I have 2 full drawers, not skinny sink drawers, full of soap. Probably 5-10 years worth. The urge to try some of the new artisan soaps is really messing with my logic switch.

I have more than I need

I dread counting it all.

If I was to not buy anything else I probably could make it to the end of the 2015 yearly Sabbatical with what I own

I recently counted up everything excluding samples, and found that I have 13 soaps/creams, and 6 aftershaves/balms, and about 30-50 various blades. I should be able to not buy anything else for the next few years except more blades. That won't last, I still have never tried any Stirling or Maggard!

Well, I haven't added it all up until you went and said something. :lol:

Right now my current stash consists of the following:
17 razors- 11 gillettes, 5 straights, and a feather ac
5 brushes- seems a little light, may have to add another
14 soaps
10 aftershaves
About 200 de blades and 60ish feather injector blades

Im kind of afraid to even begin to quantify how long that will last me. Now I see where 3017 came from.

$WP_20140914_005[1].jpg not counting what is in the bathroom....and recent additions..

The problem with soaps is that they all get used up at a different rate. Some soaps last a month, some last 6 months. I really don't have a good way of figuring out how long my soap collection will last.

Aftershave on the other hand, I could probably guestimate fairly well by assuming 1 Tbsp used per application.

I lost count but these are rough figures

Soaps and creams around 50 containers
Razors 10
Blades 3000
Brushes 7
Afershaves 12

I would say I have too much stuff, not as much as some but I think my supply of soaps and creams could last 2-3 years, blades at least a year and a half, and aftershaves at least another year. I have done ok on not buying too many brushes and razors. SAD is what got me early on. Pretty much everything I have is in that picture below, except the tube of cream and razor I used this morning.

$get-attachment.jpg

Oh, I am feeling much better now knowing we share similar vices! I do like to use some of my supply for gifts, PIFs, and trying to convert people.

Top Bottom