What's new

Need a bike mounted light for evening rids.

I ride a bike for recreation and an looking for suggestions on a sturdy, water resistant bike light that takes AA batteries and has a long life. This will be for casual and recreational riding under street lamps so I don't really need a rally light. I am considering a basic big box store light set over a set from a bike shop. I have headlamps and other high output lights I can use but am looking for a simple bike mounted light so I don't get run over by cars. If I can see the road that's a big bonus.
Thanks.

Mostly battery powered bike lights wont light up the road, Im guessing its the sane in the US as the UK but battery lights tend to be measured in candle power. So how bright it is for others to see you. If you get a rechargable light; such as Lezyne they will be measured in lumens which will light up the road for you to see.
In the UK you can get a rechargable Lezyne or Cateye for about £50 which are around 300lumens which is more than enough to light the roads and blind oncoming traffic. Not sure what the price differance will be though.

I run two "blinkies" on my commuter. One is white and can flash or stay on solid, on the front, and the red one can blink or stay solid, and is on the rear. They're cheap ones by Blackburn, and run on watch type batteries. I don't run them all the time, only in the mornings or when it's raining usually.

I really recommend strong red blinkies to make sure cars coming up behind you see you. As for a head light to be used on a road as opposed to a bike path, I'd recommend something rechargable or something using a stronger battery than a AA. I don't feel that light would be strong enough to allow you to safely ride. Fenix is making powerful bike lights now. I really like their flashlights. Good luck and ride safe.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ended up digging thru my junk and came up with a red photon microlight for the rear that hangs just behind the rear reflector so when it flashes it "blooms" the reflector. I plan to upgrade this to a real blinkie when I get the chance.
For the front I mounted an old petzel headlamp I have not used in a decade. It works well for casual light but I would really like a pair of niteize blinkers. Or just go niteize all the way around.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I recently added a Niterider Solas 2W USB rechargeable rear light and love it. My old Niterider 10W Halogen front light has finally become obsolete and will soon be replaced with a much brighter and compact USB rechargeable model, have not decided which one yet.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I highly recommend Niteflux lights from Australia.

https://www.niteflux.com/

They are fantastically bright, and have a great "spread" so visible from many different angles. They have built-in rechargeable batteries, and recharge with a USB plug-in.

I suggest that you post your question over on candlepower forum--those folks over there know a LOT about portable lights! They are to portable lights what B&B is to wet shaving.

Good luck.

Legion

Staff member
I highly recommend Niteflux lights from Australia.

https://www.niteflux.com/

They are fantastically bright, and have a great "spread" so visible from many different angles. They have built-in rechargeable batteries, and recharge with a USB plug-in.

Those would be freekin fantastic for a red back light, and I might get one.

For a front light, the amount of spread and visability looks like it might screw up your night vision riding? Don't know, just guessing. I've had similar things, and it is a bit like hiking at night with a lantern. Your eyes adjust to the nearby light, and you cant see off into the bush.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Many of the newer headlights have multiple power settings from dim to sun bright.

I agree that there are some really nice, affordable rechargeable options, but if you really want AAs, I
Like Princeton Tec's bike lights.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
For a front light, the amount of spread and visability looks like it might screw up your night vision riding? Don't know, just guessing. I've had similar things, and it is a bit like hiking at night with a lantern. Your eyes adjust to the nearby light, and you cant see off into the bush.

It may be a bit of a trade off between "see" and "be seen". To me, the latter is safer.

Legion

Staff member
Winter is coming, as they say in Westeros, and I needed to upgrade my lighting. Just received a new Fyxo light in the mail, and man, I'm impressed. A great little (and I mean little) light.

A bit more expensive than I would normally pay, but after having two cheap lights conk out last winter, I think it is better to spend a couple of extra bucks and do it right. I commute in darkness most of the winter, in traffic, in the rain, whatever. Best not to cheap out.

http://shop.fyxo.co/fyxo-king-bright-light-v4/

Top Bottom