What's new

Lavender EO = Blackheads ???

After a period of sitting on my shelf, I decided that I should probably give my AOS Lavender a use again. However, a few hours after my shave, I noticed that I had quite a number of blackheads on my cheeks and chin. Bear in mind that I only changed my shave cream for that shave (brush, razor, alum and proraso asb were all the same).

Curious, I waited a few days for them to do away and then I decided to use my T&H UC, and again I noticed the same thing - a few hours after my shave I had a bunch of blackheads.

It seems that my skin just does not like Lavender EO.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Interestingly, this also happens to me when I use an asb with lavender in it (T&H & AOS) though in the case of the AOS one it is negligible therefore I continue to use it when my skin is feeling particularly sensitive/dry.

Anyone got any insight into this ??

Thanks,

I used AOS lavender soap for several years and the only places I ever get blackheads are on my forehead and nose. I did a google search and oddly enough lavender EO is used in acne home remedies.

While the correlation may seem obvious, it's not quite that simple. Skin irritations like this actually take quite some time to form & are never instantaneous. Here's an excerpt from an article by ME founder James Whitall which addresses this:

"It's easy to assume a cause-and-effect relationship between the application of a new product and the near-immediate appearance of pimples or whiteheads. You use Product X. Pimples appear the next day. Ergo, Product X sucks".

"In fact, it takes up to 90 days or more for pimples or whiteheads to form. By the time they raise their ugly heads above the surface of your skin, they've already been plotting their mayhem for several weeks. Product X probably hatched those bastard pustules faster than if they'd been left to their own devices. An immediate breakout could signal that Product X is working as advertised".

Here's a link to the entire article if your interested. It's good reading.
http://www.menessentials.com/oxid.php/sid/0995676ad0b5b5c1c3b4c934881c4eb8/cl/info/tpl/debunking.tpl

Good post. I've heard that before as well. Don't assume something you've used gives you acne. Now a rash or itching would be a sign that something you've used or consumed is causing a problem. Take a look at some of the other soaps or creams, particularly often used products like facial or shower soaps/cleansers, and see if you've changed up in the recent past. Maybe something there that's causing you grief. Good luck with it!

While I can't tell you exactly what you're experiencing, I'm fairly certain you can't develop blackheads a matter of hours. Either they're already there or you're experiencing something else.

After a period of sitting on my shelf, I decided that I should probably give my AOS Lavender a use again. However, a few hours after my shave, I noticed that I had quite a number of blackheads on my cheeks and chin. Bear in mind that I only changed my shave cream for that shave (brush, razor, alum and proraso asb were all the same).

Curious, I waited a few days for them to do away and then I decided to use my T&H UC, and again I noticed the same thing - a few hours after my shave I had a bunch of blackheads.

It seems that my skin just does not like Lavender EO.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Interestingly, this also happens to me when I use an asb with lavender in it (T&H & AOS) though in the case of the AOS one it is negligible therefore I continue to use it when my skin is feeling particularly sensitive/dry.

Anyone got any insight into this ??

Thanks,

thats quite odd because lavender oil is regularly used to clear up blemishes and blackheads. It may be the shea butter in the AOS.

Top Bottom