What's new

I'm getting a lot of pull and tugging from the blades by Personna

I can get really good shaves with my 1912 GEM with the stainless Personna blades. But sometimes I feel like they are pulling and/or tugging way too much. This happens probably every other shave, even with a new blade. I can tell it wasn't a great shave from the amount of burn when applying aftershave. I've tried the Blue Star Personna carbon blades with about the same results.

I usually shower or at least put warm water on my whiskers, followed by preshave oil, and lather with warm soap on top that.

Any tips? Is it the angle? Not enough prep? Maybe they're just not good for my beard type?

Are you paying close attention to blade angle? A single edge is completely different from a DE. The cap of the razor should be almost flat against the skin. Otherwise you are scraping the whiskers off rather than slicing them off. And of course, no pressure - the weight of the razor is all the pressure that is needed.

I use the Gem stainless PTFE (which I believe are the same blade as the stainless Personna), and typically I get 8 or more close, irritation-free shaves per blade, although I have to be really careful the first couple of shaves.

Have you tried carbon steel blades? I like the stainless for the lack of maintenance, but many guys find the carbons to be smoother.

--Bob

Top Bottom