What's new

As close to a straight as it gets

I know there isn't a great following for the Wilkinson Sword Empire Razors here, but I want to share my observations.
1. Very unique look. Manly with gears.
2. Not many have them, nor have heard of them.
3. As far as I know, was one of the first adjustable razors, 1930's.
4. The most aggressive vintage razor I have found yet. It is as close to a straight razor as I have found. MORE aggressive than the MMOC. Yet can be tamed by the adjustment mechanism.
5. They can be had for a reasonable price, if you know where to look, and don't pay attention to dirty pictures, they clean up nicely.
6. They are heavy, and feel good in the hand.

This is an easy BBS but beware, it almost feels like a mini straight razor. More need to try one, if you like aggressive yet very controllable.

That razor looks about as close to steampunk as a razor can get :)
What do you have to know before using these?

Razor blades available?
Do they have to be honed or anything like that?

7. They are an absolute sod to re-assemble if you take them apart for cleaning.

Regarding the blades, simply take the spine off a GEM SE blade and clip the back corners off. By happy coincidence it fits straight in there ...

I have tried many types of DE, and SE razors. I have tried straights.

I use despined Gems, with e the corners clipped to fit.

As far as taking apart, I have not tried yet, but I have a few that need some help. Taking them apart looks like delicate work.

One week of using the Wilkinson Sword.
1. Needs a very very light touch.
2. Use as flat of an angle as possible.
3. It takes several shaves for me to feel comfortable. It made me nervous, because it is so aggressive.
4. Great close shaves. No irritation.

The Wilkinson Swords are definitely cool. Little pieces of industrial art right in the palm of your hand.

Top Bottom